What's the difference between spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
To clarify, in my mind:
Pizza sauce = Pizza (of course :) )
Pasta sauce = spaghetti sauce

I don't know if pasta sauce is spaghetti sauce technically, but that isn't my question exactly. Either way, I'll probably use both interchangeably. I am not Italian, and I'm always open to correction/learning.

So! I am making pizza cabbage rolls for funsies, and my husband likes pizza, so why not. I threw in some pizza sauce and some spaghetti sauce for the sauce on the rolls, then I wondered. What is the difference between pizza and pasta sauce?

I've heard the ONLY difference is pasta sauce is cooked, pizza sauce isn't. If true, does this mean if I cook my pizza sauce, it becomes pasta sauce?

On my palette, I can make pasta sauce taste closer to pizza sauce if I add tomato paste to it. Is tomato paste a more common ingredient in pizza sauce?

Basically just me thinking out loud on: if I only have pasta sauce and want pizza sauce, can I make pasta sauce taste more like pizza sauce? Or vice versa? Or is it not as simple as that, since "pasta sauce is cooked, pizza sauce isn't"? (If that's the true only main difference)?

. . . . and then along comes "marinara" . . .
not sure what "cooked / not cooked" actually is thought to mean.
it's very tricky to make a tomate-sauce-by-any-name without cooking the tomatoes down from "whole fresh"

I suspect it may be the degree of seasonings added....

here's my garden-going-to-sauce
1730146570158.jpeg

1730146601908.jpeg

In my kitchen pizza sauce is thicker and highly seasoned compared to pasta sauce.

This is the easy pizza sauce that I normally use.

Pizza Sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
¼ - ½ cup water
2 cloves minced garlic
1T dry Oregano
1T dry Basil
Mix well. If you use fresh basil omit the dried from the sauce and add the fresh basil as a pizza topping. This makes enough for 2 sheet pizzas. The leftovers can be frozen with good results.

This past few years, my spaghetti sauce has mushrooms in it, my pizza sauce does not. I cook the pizza sauce down much more, it is thicker.

For me -
Pizza sauce is very much thicker and spicier.
Spaghetti sauce is often herbier and thinner.
Pizza sauce takes robust toppings (pepperoni for example).
Spaghetti sauce could be robust but often milder additives (shrimp for example).

You can thicken Spaghetti sauce and spice it up to Pizza sauce easily, but not vice versa, at least not easily.

Both can take copious amounts of cheese :) :yum:

Edit:
things like mushrooms are cooked
"in" a spaghetti sauce but
"on" a pizza sauce.

Back
Top Bottom