What to do with sour cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I recall, the only downside was squeezing all the product out of the tube.

One problem Jeannie has with products in tubes.

You should see how she mangle's toothpaste tubes. [emoji16][emoji1787]

Ross

We like Daisy sour cream.

Just once we bought the squeeze bottle, mainly for tacos.

Used it up and went back to tubs. No idea why.

Time to revisit the squeeze tube.

Ross
We went back and forth several times before settling on the tube. I'm not sure why, but it seems to last much longer.
Maybe it has something to do with it not separating in the tube like it does in containers.

I'll have to look for tubes. That would be great for taco night.
Or any other meal that adds a splotch of. Sometimes it's difficult and makes a mess getting it to the dish or off the spoon.

This is the very reason we tried the tube.

I have never seen tubes of sour cream. If it's just for the convenience, there are fillable tubes for food.

Its in the cold section right next to the containers of sour cream. They always have it in our stores. It can hide because they stand up the tube on it's cap. And your eyes are accustomed to looking for the container. Its there trust me.

You should see how she mangle's toothpaste tubes. [emoji16][emoji1787]
Ross

If there is an issue using toothpaste, don't buy sour cream in the tube.
Its not hard to use, but toothpaste is easier.

We went back and forth several times before settling on the tube. I'm not sure why, but it seems to last much longer.

Maybe it has something to do with it not separating in the tube like it does in containers.

It's because there is less exposure to the air and the pathogens floating around that land in open containers.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post

You should see how she mangle's toothpaste tubes.
Ross
If there is an issue using toothpaste, don't buy sour cream in the tube.
Its not hard to use, but toothpaste is easier.

Roll_Bones

Not really an issue.

Jeannie just likes to make certain she squeezes out all she paid for. ;) :rolleyes:

Ross

<snip>

Its in the cold section right next to the containers of sour cream. They always have it in our stores. It can hide because they stand up the tube on it's cap. And your eyes are accustomed to looking for the container. Its there trust me.

<snip>

I don't think that Daisy is even available in Canada. I've never seen Daisy products. I did an internet search and all I could find for sale in Canada was an empty Daisy tub on Ebay, that can be shipped to Canada. On the Daisy website, they say it is available in 90% of US grocery stores, and some club stores.

That was why I was recommending fillable tubes to Dragn, who also lives in Canada.

hey taxy, thanks for searching for me :)

trouble with filling a reusable tube is in the transfer. Doing the refilling alone would be enough to contaminate, imho. Plus the whole fact of buying in the tube to begin with is to not have to go to the trouble. LOL

But! expensive as they are Maison Riviera has wonderful products which I started getting for the goat butter. Their products come in little glass jars - which I love too, so handy for so many things. And it's Canadian!

hey taxy, thanks for searching for me :)

trouble with filling a reusable tube is in the transfer. Doing the refilling alone would be enough to contaminate, imho. Plus the whole fact of buying in the tube to begin with is to not have to go to the trouble. LOL

But! expensive as they are Maison Riviera has wonderful products which I started getting for the goat butter. Their products come in little glass jars - which I love too, so handy for so many things. And it's Canadian!

Yeah, transferring the sour cream (anything, really) to the tubes does sound like a PITA. But, it would be tidier at the table when adding sour cream to tacos.

And that Riviera sour cream, yeah that's good stuff. (Liberté makes really good sour cream too, also with no additives and Canadian.) Have you tried their crème fraiche? The two little bottles are nifty. The second one stays sealed, while you are using the first one. BTW, I get them from Lufa Farms. At one point, they were selling plastic lids for those little jars for $0.25 each. I have a number of the lids.

The little jars are cute. Have you figured out a clever use for them? I saved a few for things like toasted sesame seeds. But, I keep getting them and it seems a shame to just put them in the recycling.

Last edited:
I had to put a ton of them in the recycle when I moved. I almost cried while my girlfriend cheered (she'd been after me for years to declutter and stop hoarding :rolleyes: )

I got some lids as well, I bought those products at both the IGA and Metro. I have seen them here but that day I didn't need so didn't buy. Need to check out some of the other grocers. The goat butter comes in flat style jars that are great for puddings and individual desserts. Like ramekins.

Doing crafts I find them handy for holding/storing.
In my little kitchen here, I use them for relish, mustard, etc from the big fridge upstairs. Saves space.

I just took a peek at the website for Maison Riviere. Fancy pics!

le petit pot

yummmmm

I checked out the lids. If I get 6 x 12 lids @ $3 each dozen, it's cheaper than getting fewer, because the shipping is free. I really don't think I need six dozen of those lids. :ermm: :LOL:

I have bought their stuff from Metro and from IGA too. How is the goat butter? It's kinda pricey. I have only had goat milk butter when I was on vacation on Mallorca. It was a very long time ago. It was a bit of a surprise and I just thought, fine, it's butter, even if it's a bit different. It was much less startling than when I asked for a glass of milk to go with something. I was expecting a cold glass of cow's milk. I got a warm glass of goat's milk. It was good, just odd. I did ask them not to heat it after that. Oh yeah, I just remembered. I was visiting a friend in Chicago. We went to a health food store. They had goat milk in a carton. I bought one. I tasted it and inflicted it on my friend and on my boyfriend. Then, I threw it out. It tasted the way a billy goat smells - absolutely gross.

Maybe it has something to do with it not separating in the tube like it does in containers...
It's because there is less exposure to the air and the pathogens floating around that land in open containers...
Ages and ages ago, back in our OH days, I remember a hint that one of the TV anchors mentioned in an off-handed sort of way. She said that after you take your serving of sour cream (or cottage cheese), to use the back of the spoon (BEFORE you've put it into your mouth :LOL: ) and spread the container contents around so that it's smooth with no divots. I've done that for decades now, and it really does slow down any spoilage.

...Jeannie just likes to make certain she squeezes out all she paid for...
I don't blame her. I have this tiny, tiny spoon at the end of a very long handle. It was a give-away at a Tupperware party I attended before I was married. That spoon is a champ for getting the last of the stuff from any bottle or jar. I have no idea what I will do if it breaks. :ermm: :ohmy:

What I do to get as much as possible out of a tube is to squeeze carefully from the bottom. Then, after several squeezes, I use the back of a knife to squish all the stuff at the bottom upwards. I fold, not roll, the bottom up and do that every inch or inch and a half or so. I have also been known to cut the tube open when I can't squeeze more out, so that I can scrape out the last of it.

S Cream in tubes lasts way longer than the exp date, longer if never opened, long, but not as long, once open.

I have this tiny, tiny spoon at the end of a very long handle. It was a give-away at a Tupperware party I attended before I was married. That spoon is a champ for getting the last of the stuff from any bottle or jar. I have no idea what I will do if it breaks. :ermm: :ohmy:
Do like Rachael Ray - shake up a dressing or marinade or something inside the jar, incorporating the last bit of the ingredient.
https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/15113_Bottom_of_the_Raspberry_Jam_Jar

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I don't blame her. I have this tiny, tiny spoon at the end of a very long handle. It was a give-away at a Tupperware party I attended before I was married. That spoon is a champ for getting the last of the stuff from any bottle or jar. I have no idea what I will do if it breaks. :ermm: :ohmy:

I had one of those years ago, but lost it. I bought these, so I can do the same thing. And they are metal, so won't break easy.

Briout Bar Spoon Cocktail Mixing Stirrers for Drink, Stainless Steel, Spiral Long Handle, 12 Inches Black, 2 Pieces

bar-spoon.jpg

Last edited:
Think I bought this at our Canadian Tire store in the kitchen section. The rubber is very soft and I would like it a bit stiffer but I use it a lot!JPEG_20220515_102521_6755389027558362226.jpg

It's because there is less exposure to the air and the pathogens floating around that land in open containers.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

Quote:

This thread got me thinking. I have a roll up sort of device for toothpaste. Its not as wide as the sour cream tube. But I think it would work. I don't have any issues with tubes but Jeanie may want to try this?

I don't think that Daisy is even available in Canada. I've never seen Daisy products. I did an internet search and all I could find for sale in Canada was an empty Daisy tub on Ebay, that can be shipped to Canada. On the Daisy website, they say it is available in 90% of US grocery stores, and some club stores.
That was why I was recommending fillable tubes to Dragn, who also lives in Canada.

Sorry taxlady. I did not notice you are from the great country of Canada.
Yes, its easily sourced here in the US.

I'm glad this came up. Before we started buying the tube, we would transfer the sour cream to a squirt bottle. Like the ones you can buy for ketchup ect..... Chefs use them all the time for all kinds of ingredients.
This actually is better than the tube except the tube is more convenient. With the squirt bottle you can cut the tip to the perfect size for sour cream.
And they are not that hard to fill. I do it with a butter knife. I aslo never buy mustard in a squirt bottle. I buy the big jar and either fill an old French's mustard squirt bottle with the bulk mustard or use my own squirt bottles.
I have also done this with mayo. Nice to be able to squirt mayo as well.

S Cream in tubes lasts way longer than the exp date, longer if never opened, long, but not as long, once open.

It does indeed. Its was the main draw as to using this product all the time around here. No more soupy loose sour cream for us. The sour cream in the tube is thicker than what comes in the containers.

Back
Top Bottom