Thursday, June 22, finally got cooking! Anyone else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I made a creole style dish today, the spices like what I put in Jambalaya. And instead of rice, I put a cup of sorghum berries and a half cup of channa dal, which I pre-cooked a couple days ago, only because I started it before I went out to harvest the first batch of garlic, but it got too late. Then yesterday, a friend stopped by, but had already eaten, so I did not cook, then it got too late. So I continued it today.

I started by sautéeing some chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery, and the spices. I also had some dried tomatoes, I had in the fridge from 2 days ago, to blend into the tomato sauce to cook everything in. This was added to the vegetables, then the sorghum and channa dal, and simmered it about 15 minutes, when there was just a little liquid left. I stirred in about a pound of whiting filets, cut into pieces, then let it simmer 5 more minutes, and served it.
Start of a Creole type dish, with onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery, cooking in olive oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some soaked dehydrated tomatoes, to blend into a paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Paste from dried tomatoes, held horizontal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pre-cooked sorghum berries and channa dal, added to the tomato sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cut up whiting fillets, ready to stir into the cooked sorghum and dal, to cook about 5 minutes more. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Creole dish, with sorghum and dal, in place of rice, plus some fish added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I made K-L's Company Chicken Salad. I made some changes, because I didn't have any romaine lettuce or grapes. I served it with whole wheat baguette and a plate of EVOO and balsamic vinegar to dip the bread in. The black blobs in one of the pix are haskap berries. They didn't do anything for the salad and didn't detract.

KL's Company Chicken Salad.jpg
KL's Company Chicken Salad with wholewheat baguette.jpg

Then, later on, I made a strawberry dessert with mascarpone and whipped cream. It was the first time I made it, so it didn't turn out pretty, just really delicious. I'll tweak it and when I can make it pretty, or at least not incredibly messy, I'll take pictures of it.

What does K L stand for taxy?
Oops, that link goes to my copy of the recipe. I meant to post the link to the recipe here on DC. Then it would have been obvious.

I sort of thought tha's what it was for but not sure. So many of those letters floating around, lol, thought I was missing something!
Thanks GG and taxy for the replies!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom