Sesame Szechuan Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
This is such an easy sauce to pull together quickly and only a few ingredients.
I developed this when I was in the restaurant as a meat accompaniment but I was going for something that was a bit more delicate than the traditional pepper sauce.
It is important, I feel, for the sesame to be the forward flavour.

2 Tbsp sesame seeds (dry toasted)
2 tsp Szechuan pepper
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp scallion powder (or chopped scallions)
1/2 cup tahini
3 Tbsp water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp sesame oil
Salt to taste

Heat small heavy based saucepan and add the oil
Add the sesame seeds (already dry toasted), Szechuan pepper and chilli flakes and allow aromatics to release, about a minute only.
Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool before returning to stove at a very low temperature.
Add the tahini and stir constantly, adding the water until creamy and smooth.
Add the scallion powder and mix
Gently add the cream, keeping the temperature very low.
Allow to warm through and infuse all the flavours, being careful not to overheat.
Season to taste and serve immediately as warmed.

Thank you. I have saved the recipe to CMT (Copy Me That). I have a few questions.

How much does it make?
Do you think it can be scaled down?
Is there a way to reheat it well?
When you wrote to keep the temperature very low, is that simmering or is it lower than that?
Does it matter if one uses red or green Szechuan pepper corns?

Thanks Taxy

I find sauce hard to gauge because some people will slather it on etc.
This recipe will yield about 1 1/4 cups.

As far as scaling up or down, it’s a very flexible recipe for that.

I wouldn’t recommend reheating, because once cooled , the tahini will return to that gluey texture it’s known for. This is also the reason why I try to have it smooth and creamy constantly as I warm it. Too much heat will cause it to “curdle” so it is low and slow and stirring frequently. But if you have a technique that works, you can certainly give it a try. It’s just that I haven’t!

With the Szechuan peppercorns, I have used both and they are equally delicious.

Telling us a yield of 1¼ cups is better, in my opinion, than how many servings. I agree, it is hard to gauge how many servings that will be. I would consider a number of servings to be more of a guesstimate.

I have some more questions about the recipe, well actually about the scallion powder. I am not familiar with scallion powder. I assume it is made from dried scallions. How much fresh scallions would I substitute? Do you know if the scallion powder is made from the entire scallions, minus the roots, or just the green or just the white part? I checked, and it doesn't seem like the local grocery stores that I use for delivery carry it.

Scallion powder is made from the entire plant minus the root. It is dried and then powdered, as you say.
In use, I substitute it for a small scallion, white and first inch or so of green = 2 Tbsp.
You will struggle to find it outside of a decent Asian grocer. It’s largely used where the flavour is desired but not the texture, often in Cantonese broths or sometimes as a secret weapon in pho. I order mine from the online Asian market that I use and it comes in a 500gm package which lasts me a long time. 🫠

@pictonguy yes, blending the tahini and cream into a smooth sauce was the most difficult process to perfect. It was prone to separating under anything other than very gentle heat. The small amount of water helps. I did go through quite a bit of both the tahini and cream trying to get it right!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom