Saturday, june 22, 2024, eats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
One of the tuna steaks off the chunk of loin from Winn Dixie, that's about a third of it on my plate, 1/4" thick slices, marinated in Soju, tamari, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, then seared all around. Wasabi potato latkes and spinach sauteed with garlic slices in vegetable and sesame oil. There's a little dollop of extra wasabi between the tuna and latkes. I finished the bottle of Soju.
20240622_183519.jpg

We traveled to a graduation party, came home, sliced up one of the most delicious cantaloupe, ate veggie rice, beans, greens, taco sauce, and finished with salad. Then going through his pictures we hadn't seen from '95 to 2003 before I knew mr bliss.

A bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers, shallots, was supper Saturday night.

Was a little smoked salmon left over so had another bagel, cream cheese, passed on the capers, shallots - that was breakfast this Sunday morning.

One of my favorite restaurants closed yesterday because the owner has health issues. So I bought a salad and a fried shrimp dinner with fries and hush puppies to share with DH. I really like their spicy seafood dipping sauce. I'll miss them.

Yesterday I made something to go with some of that leftover Thai chicken. After looking at that nahm jeem gratiem, and how dark it was, compared to the usual, because I made it with garlic scapes, in place of the garlic. I thought how it almost looks like I had put nam prik pao in it, and thought, hey - I bet that would be good! And easy! It was different, and both were good, just different, and the nam prik pao version was milder, because I make that with a milder pepper, so I can use more of it in dishes (if made with the same Thai peppers, not enough can be added to many dishes, to get that flavor of the toasted garlic and shallots. And one thing that I discovered, after refrigerating it, was that it was very thick, and I had to stir a little water into it, to give it the same consistency. I figure it's because the NPP has no moisture, while the fresh garlic has moisture, so next time I'll simmer it 18 minutes, instead of the 20 minutes, which works for the regular.
Here's that version of Nahm Jeem Gratiem I made, using 3 tb of the Nam Prik Pao, in place of the garlic and dried peppers. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here is that sauce, with the sugar dissolved, and starting the 20 minute simmer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here is the foaming, after the 20 minutes, just like the regular Nahm Jeem Gratiem. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Nahm Jeem Gratiem, with the Nam Prik Pao, as the seasoning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The two Nahm Jeem Gratiem batches, Nam Prik Pao version on L. a little too thick, so next time I'll simmer 18 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A friend stopped by, and sampled the two of them, with the chicken, and couldn't really pick a favorite, sort of like me. But that Nam Prik Pao version was easier to make, but then, I always have NPP on hand.

Back
Top Bottom