Pimiento Cheese - no cream cheese type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texmex

Senior Cook
Pimiento cheese is perfect for this hot weather and I made some today. I don't do the traditional Southern pimiento cheese with cream cheese. That's great for crackers and dip. I like this version for sandwiches. It's sweet and vinegary. I have made it with a variety of cheese and you certainly can as long as you can get it cut thin and small.

In the end my favorite thing to make it with is Kraft Deluxe American cheese slices and that makes it easier to cut as well. Honestly I just like the way it tastes best and second runner-up is Colby (not colby jack), which is my favorite finger cheese.

It's real easy as long as you have a wire cheese cutter. I have the kind that's kind of like a guillotine on a small cutting board. So I just cut it one way trying for about an 8 inch wide and then I turn those around and try for about a half inch long. It just makes for a nice texture and flavor distribution.

Then it's real easy.
16 slices Kraft Deluxe American. (I think it's 16 slices but it's possible with 16 oz but it says 16 on the package.)

1 1/2 T vinegar (I prefer red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar is also good).

1 1/2 T sugar

1 t salt

1/2 C salad dressing such as Miracle Whip (it's better than mayo in this because it has a nice vinegar sweet flavor. This is the only thing I use Miracle Whip in.)

4oz. Jar chopped pimientos.

Mix. You would think this would be better after refrigerated and sitting awhile but I actually prefer mine as soon as it's done and before refrigeration. But it's good both ways. I put mine on sandwiches.

I tried making it one time with a bag of shredded cheddar and I don't recommend it. The texture just isn't good enough. The cut on this is just sort of important.
IMG_20230711_182859990.jpg

That was supposed to be 1/8th inch wide. Couldn't find the edit function.

Looks yummy and certainly different. Sounds great for a sandwich with crunchy lettuce on top!

What about the 1/8th size but instead of long doing them into cubes. Do you think that would also work for a dip? You know those dipping crackers .... argh, the name, the name... ahhh! Scoops!
Or perhaps too rich for dipping with crackers - but celery sticks would work! as long as they still have their curve for picking it up!

ps,
Welcome to DC Texmex!

I think it's important to have it sliced into small thin slices for the same reason that you want coleslaw in little bitty pieces. It makes for a tender moist bite. It doesn't get mushy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom