Grocery deals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have eaten scallops, but I have never cooked them. Is it standard procedure to soak scallops before cooking them?
No but mine were frozen and sometimes they freeze them in an odd solution. I wasn't sure about these. There are some I have bought from Aldi frozen that are great to just thaw without a soak. These I just wanted to be sure. When cooking from fresh I will rinse and pat dry sometimes just to be sure there are no sandy or shell particles attached. That's just me.

In a way this is a great deal. Not necessarily on special.

Those huge Bok Choy's at my grocer's are priced from $1.29 to $1.99 each. I buy 1 and pull off an outer stalk (like you do celery) chop it up and use in various dishes from noodle or wonton soup, stir fry, anything I'm frying. Sometimes save part of the tops to use as lettuce in a sandwich. (I don't buy lettuce, just goes slimy on me).
One Bok Choy can last me a week or even two! depends on what I'm having.
$2.00 for greens for almost 2 weeks is a good deal in my books.
Do you have an Aldi in your area? They have these artisinal lettuce heads in the produce section (4 to a package) and they seem to last a long time. Plus I really like the lettuce, it's usually 2 small heads of green leaf and something else, plus 2 small heads of some red leaf varieties. I think it's $2.99 US here.

I probably have asked you if you had Aldi before and forgot what you said, sorry...

Do you have an Aldi in your area? They have these artisinal lettuce heads in the produce section (4 to a package) and they seem to last a long time. Plus I really like the lettuce, it's usually 2 small heads of green leaf and something else, plus 2 small heads of some red leaf varieties. I think it's $2.99 US here.

I probably have asked you if you had Aldi before and forgot what you said, sorry...
We don't have Aldi in Canada. I hope we get them soon. I liked them when I was visiting family in Denmark.

5 big oranges and 5 little lemons in a bag for $1. Inexpensive hair gel $2.25 for 30 oz. Romaine 3 heads normal price $2.50.

Romaine 3 heads at $2.50 normal price is a fantastic deal!
I had read an article the other day about how Canadian grocers have a price lock and are gouging the crap out of Canadians (well that's not the wording they used, LOL). But basically it's why they don't want Aldi and Lidl in Canada. I think that's just wrong! If Aldi or Lidl were allowed to open stores, it would force the other grocery stores to lower their prices to become more competitive. Not only are Aldi and Lidl more reasonably priced, but they also have good quality products, it's not second rate just because it's cheaper.

I had read an article the other day about how Canadian grocers have a price lock and are gouging the crap out of Canadians (well that's not the wording they used, LOL). But basically it's why they don't want Aldi and Lidl in Canada. I think that's just wrong! If Aldi or Lidl were allowed to open stores, it would force the other grocery stores to lower their prices to become more competitive. Not only are Aldi and Lidl more reasonably priced, but they also have good quality products, it's not second rate just because it's cheaper.
Well of course the big chains don't want extra competition. It's not like anyone is actually stopping companies from other countries from competing. Walmart and Sobey's are big in Canada and those are both foreign companies. I don't see that making a big difference.

Interesting, would like to have seen that article. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt. We have low cost grocers too. I do a lot of shopping in them.
We have Walmart and Costco, although I don't find Costco very cheap. Certainly not in their meats nor fresh vegies.

I believe Sobey's is Canadian.

Yeah I am going to look for that article and see if I can post it.

Plus many of the big names have many other names and some are low cost - plus they divy up the sales.. one week butter is on sale here, next week on sale there - but the same parent company.

Interesting, would like to have seen that article. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt. We have low cost grocers too. I do a lot of shopping in them.
We have Walmart and Costco, although I don't find Costco very cheap. Certainly not in their meats nor fresh vegies.

I believe Sobey's is Canadian.
Yeah, considering one has to pay an annual fee for Costco, I don't see how that's a value. We have several of those warehouse club businesses in the US and it just doesn't make sense to purchase the membership when I can usually find stuff when it's on sale at regular grocery stores at the same price or less, and I don't have to purchase in bulk! I had a Sam's Club membership because a company I freelance for needed me to make some purchases there in 2022 so they bought me one. When it expired in 2023 I didn't feel the need to renew.

Plus many of the big names have many other names and some are low cost - plus they divy up the sales.. one week butter is on sale here, next week on sale there - but the same parent company.
Mostly where I live it's regional grocery stores and they are definitely not the same parent company. Then there are a few big chains (Walmart and Meijer) and they are not related. Interesting how retail practices can vary between countries.

Don't get me wrong - we have lots of independent grocers too. And I think retail practices don't really vary that much between countries. Just different names! LOL

I agree with you on Costco. At one time the buying in bulk really paid off, especially for growing families and the prices were great. When they first came here their meat and fresh food sections were the pits. But that has certainly changed over the years. Both those areas are great now - but not the prices. Bulk purchasing for families is still a fairly good deal but maybe not as good as it used to be.

I think it depends on your shopping skills. My DIL is great at it, me not so much (read that as "nil").

We've had Lidl and Aldi in the UK for probably over 10 years now and there is no doubt at all that they are cheaper than the "big 4" supermarkets. (Sainsburys/Tescos/Morrisons/Asda - in no particular order) and they are constantly competing. This is no bad thing for customers! Lidl in particular sells items that are not regular brands - and mostly seem to be of very similar quality. However, they simply do not stock the sheer variety that (for instance) Sainsburys does. So I still do my regular weekly shop at Sainsburys, but am very happy to walk to Lidl to pick up things I need and am always surprised at the amount I am charged at the till!

We've had Lidl and Aldi in the UK for probably over 10 years now and there is no doubt at all that they are cheaper than the "big 4" supermarkets. (Sainsburys/Tescos/Morrisons/Asda - in no particular order) and they are constantly competing. This is no bad thing for customers! Lidl in particular sells items that are not regular brands - and mostly seem to be of very similar quality. However, they simply do not stock the sheer variety that (for instance) Sainsburys does. So I still do my regular weekly shop at Sainsburys, but am very happy to walk to Lidl to pick up things I need and am always surprised at the amount I am charged at the till!
I wish we had Lidl, but it's basically the same with Aldi--they won't have everything I want and need and they do have brands that are not sold in other stores but are of good quality.

I have found it surprising how many of the "local" grocery stores are owned by Loblaws, Métro, or Sobeys. Often, they don't change the character of the store at all. Mourelato's had been acquired by Loblaws by the time that flood hit them and they never opened again. Métro owns Première Moisson, Adonis, and Jean Coutu.

I have found it surprising how many of the "local" grocery stores are owned by Loblaws, Métro, or Sobeys. Often, they don't change the character of the store at all. Mourelato's had been acquired by Loblaws by the time that flood hit them and they never opened again. Métro owns Première Moisson, Adonis, and Jean Coutu.
In the US they have a chain called Kroger's that goes under many different names from region to region, but we don't have any of them within an hour of my house. Even Meijer stores, which are nationwide, are at least 20 minutes away from me so I don't shop there. There are 4 grocery stores within 5 miles of my house and they are all regional grocers. I am fine with that!

I think the biggest disappoint I have (and have probably mentioned this before) but the variety is becoming less and less in most of the stores big stores. Many times even two rival stores stock only 2 brands - a nationwide (eg. Heinz) and their own label.

You can often get more variety in small grocers but unfortunately they have to charge more than double what the chains probably would, if they were to carry them.
I'm willing to pay a bit more but not exorbitant prices.

I think the biggest disappoint I have (and have probably mentioned this before) but the variety is becoming less and less in most of the stores big stores. Many times even two rival stores stock only 2 brands - a nationwide (eg. Heinz) and their own label.

You can often get more variety in small grocers but unfortunately they have to charge more than double what the chains probably would, if they were to carry them.
I'm willing to pay a bit more but not exorbitant prices.
Sometimes Walmart has stuff online that's not in their stores.

I have a very hard time using digital flyers. Just can't stand flipping the screens. With my short term memory malfunction I can't remember from store to store what's on special.
What's worse is they've stopped them here (and my granddaughter used to delivered them). They still have them in the store but that means, of course, you must go from store to store to read them.

Back
Top Bottom