Grandma's Apple Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silmanor

Assistant Cook
Hello, everyone. I received a translation from my mom that my grandpa wrote in Polish for Grandma's signature apple pie. When I was a kid, she'd always have some of this in the fridge waiting for us. It was baked in a large rectangular shape, but aside from that, its deliciousness, and the smiles it was served with, I don't recall anything else. We never made it together, and my mom said that she doesn't recall anything more either.

I've never made crust by myself before, though I do know my way around a kitchen fairly well. I'm hoping that I can get some help here filling in the Method, including recommended cooking parameters and how I would alter the recipe for baking in a toaster oven, or how many batches I'd want to cut this into to accommodate my present equipment. I won't be able to use a full-size pan here as she did, as I live abroad and don't have access to a full-size oven at the moment.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup butter
3 teaspoons of sour cream
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder

4 apples
3/4 cup of raisins
1 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste

Seems the first part is crust and the second is filling.
Any suggestions for the method, so I can try putting this together and continuing the tradition?
Many thanks~

1722687995692.jpeg

I would follow the technique in this recipe.

My mother used to make something similar, she would frost it with a simple glaze/frosting and call it French apple pie!

Good luck!

Last edited:
What size pan do you have that will fit in your toaster oven? Maybe a small casserole pan?
Does the pie have a bottom and top crust, or just the bottom?

Back in the 90's my MIL (RIP) made a mock apple 1/2 sheet pan size (18 inch x 13 inch), cream cheese iced pie or bar. The mock part was zucchini (peeled, seeds removed) and it was amazing. Really truly, delicious and no one imagined it to be anything but apples. It had a top and bottom crust that looks a lot like @Aunt Bea 's suggested recipe picture plus icing.

I like to think I've a pretty big area in my toaster oven. The largest pan that will fit (without touching all the sides) is an 8+1/2" X 10+1/2".

See if you can find some 6" pie plates - or cake pans. If you can't find them try on-line. Small size pans are available from Amazon. Depending on $$ and depending on item, they will ship into Taiwan. All you can do is look. Or try Temu? similar to Amazon.

My 8" cake pan fits in very easy, my 9" pie plate with slopping sides is a bit close but it does fit.
No, LOL, a 9 x 13 does not fit.
Perhaps you have 2 smaller casserole dish/pans you could use. Maybe not at the same time but ... doable!

Back
Top Bottom