Forum turning my posts into word salads.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
It's a cooking forum, so maybe this is normal. :ROFLMAO:

On a regular basis, I'll be typing a post, and out of nowhere, what I've typed turns into a word salad that is a mix of sentences from my current post, and things I posted recently. It is as if I randomly copied and pasted from some previous post, into the one I'm typing now.

Does this happen to anyone else?

CD

I'm not saying I know....but is it possible that....
1. you write a post or a partial post, decide not to post it but instead of erasing it, you just go to a different post and forget about it.
If you've done that, that partial post will show up again when you go back to the thread again.
2. So you go back to the first thread and you start typing, and then either realize you are typing in the middle of this original partial post-or this original partial post shows up (before or after your most recent stuff) after you begin your most recent response?

I'm not saying I know....but is it possible that....
1. you write a post or a partial post, decide not to post it but instead of erasing it, you just go to a different post and forget about it.
If you've done that, that partial post will show up again when you go back to the thread again.
2. So you go back to the first thread and you start typing, and then either realize you are typing in the middle of this original partial post-or this original partial post shows up (before or after your most recent stuff) after you begin your most recent response?
That sounds plausible. Yeah, I've had posts that I forgot to finish or to post that showed up the next time I looked at that thread.

The 'forget to Post reply' syndrome is very familiar to me. But casey, it doesn't sound like that from what you've said. Are you using a mouse? A touchpad?
If yes to the touchpad... disable that square from hell and use a mouse!
My touchpad is disabled but will become active if I pull the usb remote for the mouse. I finally figured out how to do this as every once in awhile my mouse goes bonkers and won't work, whether or not new batteries, rotate batteries multiple times, turn off, turn on, etc, etc...

Do you know how many posts, documents, etc. have disappeared, been rearranged, gone somewhere unknown, whole page(s) moved somewhere only the Great Dragon's Egg might know - all because of a random, accidental touch of the thumb/wrist/little finger passing over top of the active touchpad?
Makes a grown dragn cry.

Sure hope you can figure out your own personal demon.

That's really weird. When I misspell a word, the software often fills some random word rather than the one I want but that's a weird as it gets for me.

Yeh, my spell check likes to guess at what I meant to type all the time. :rolleyes:

I'll try to remember to do a screen capture the next time I get a word salad.

CD

The 'forget to Post reply' syndrome is very familiar to me. But casey, it doesn't sound like that from what you've said. Are you using a mouse? A touchpad?
If yes to the touchpad... disable that square from hell and use a mouse!
My touchpad is disabled but will become active if I pull the usb remote for the mouse. I finally figured out how to do this as every once in awhile my mouse goes bonkers and won't work, whether or not new batteries, rotate batteries multiple times, turn off, turn on, etc, etc...

Do you know how many posts, documents, etc. have disappeared, been rearranged, gone somewhere unknown, whole page(s) moved somewhere only the Great Dragon's Egg might know - all because of a random, accidental touch of the thumb/wrist/little finger passing over top of the active touchpad?
Makes a grown dragn cry.

Sure hope you can figure out your own personal demon.
I use a touch pad and I am familiar with whole posts disappearing because of a random touch, but 19 times out of 20, ctrl-z will fix that. I would love to use a mouse, but when I do, I can feel my wrist starting to get inflamed. At one point, it was bad enough that I had to wear a brace on that wrist. I don't want to risk that nonsense again.

I use a touch pad and I am familiar with whole posts disappearing because of a random touch, but 19 times out of 20, ctrl-z will fix that. I would love to use a mouse, but when I do, I can feel my wrist starting to get inflamed. At one point, it was bad enough that I had to wear a brace on that wrist. I don't want to risk that nonsense again.
I had the same problem till I got a trackball mouse. You don't have to move it. Just use your thumb to move the ball. I just replaced my old one. This one is Bluetooth or USB.

Logitech ERGO M575 Wireless Trackball Mouse - Easy thumb control, precision and smooth tracking, ergonomic comfort design, for Windows, PC and Mac with Bluetooth and USB capabilities - Graphite

51VmQb32HEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had the same problem till I got a trackball mouse. You don't have to move it. Just use your thumb to move the ball. I just replaced my old one. This one is Bluetooth or USB.

Logitech ERGO M575 Wireless Trackball Mouse - Easy thumb control, precision and smooth tracking, ergonomic comfort design, for Windows, PC and Mac with Bluetooth and USB capabilities - Graphite

View attachment 69701
Oh my goodness. I had given up looking for something like that. I love me a good trackball.

Back in the early 1990s, my ex wrote a computer column for the Montreal Gazette. Companies would often send him computer equipment of various sorts to review. One of those things was a track ball mouse. Even though my ex was a south paw and attached the trackball mouse on the left side of the computer, and I'm a righty, I found it easier to use than any regular mouse. I have been looking for one ever since. I'll admit, I haven't been diligent in recent years, but I never lost interest. I will definitely look into getting one of those.

I have the tab with the search page for those at Amazon.ca snoozed, so it will pop open tomorrow. It's late and I need to get to sleep. Thank you for recommending that.

I hadn't thought of the touch pad, which is what I use on my MacBook Pro. Weird things do happen when you brush a track pad inadvertently. However, making posts disappear is a lot more likely than having random words/sentences from previous posts suddenly replace half of your typing. Hey, it could be a "feature" that Apple added to the OS that any GenZ user would know all about, while completely confusing a GenX user. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

CD

Oh my goodness. I had given up looking for something like that. I love me a good trackball.

Back in the early 1990s, my ex wrote a computer column for the Montreal Gazette. Companies would often send him computer equipment of various sorts to review. One of those things was a track ball mouse. Even though my ex was a south paw and attached the trackball mouse on the left side of the computer, and I'm a righty, I found it easier to use than any regular mouse. I have been looking for one ever since. I'll admit, I haven't been diligent in recent years, but I never lost interest. I will definitely look into getting one of those.

I have the tab with the search page for those at Amazon.ca snoozed, so it will pop open tomorrow. It's late and I need to get to sleep. Thank you for recommending that.
You’re welcome. I hope it helps.

It's my elbow that gets sore when I'm on the 'puter too long.

casey - did it start happening after one of those horrid Monday automatic updates? That's when many glinches suddenly turn up.

I suggest you go to your local guy at Best Buy or whatever you have down there. Those kids are pretty knowledgeable, it's their passion - LOL. Ask them if it could possibly be from an update and is there anything you can do about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom