Dehydrated soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
In 2020 I made a variety of dehydrated soups from mostly my dehydrated vegetables, some spices, herb, dried cooked legumes, cooked dried pasta, cooked dried rice, and oatmeal. I labeled them with how much water to add and how long to let them sit.
The reason was so in an emergency or while traveling I could grab a bag of dried food and bring it to camp/hotel, whatever.
The closest we came to that emergency was having the electricity out here for a day or two and my patience wasn't good. I decided if the electric was out one more night we'd go to a hotel. We didn't.

So before throwing them out, I thought I'd try them and if they were still good, I'd use them occasionally, and if not, toss them out.

The first soup was a white bean rosemary soup.
Rosemary White Bean Soup

1/2 cup white beans
1/4 cup carrots both orange and yellow, onion, celery, red peppers
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/8 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
pinch of pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Label:add 1 and 1/4 cup boiling water, 10 minutes.

I used garbanzo beans in the recipe. Something tasted off, maybe rancid. I'd guess it was the beans since they have a higher percentage of oil/fat in them, that would go first. I threw four packages out but the recipe is good.

The second one:
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup sweet potatoes
2 T tomato powder
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
1 tsp onions
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Label: 1 and 1/4 cup boiling water, let sit 10-15 minutes.
This one is very good. I'd make a note that after the sweet potato is cooked, to slice it pretty thin, to make it easier to dehydrate and then rehydrate in the soup. The slices that are rehydrating in the soup are taking a long time.

This batch of soups I used up for when I didn't feel like cooking late at night.
Minestrone
1/2 cup mixed dried vegetables (zucchini, carrots-orange, carrots-yellow, red peppers, onion, tomato halves)
1/2 cup dehydrated rotini
3 teaspoons tomato powder
1/4 teaspoon Italian herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
pinch to 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Label: 1 and 3/4 cup boiling water, let sit 9-10 minutes.

And I don't know if I used up all the breakfasts. This one has grain flakes, but oatmeal can be used. If there are more of them in the basement pantry, I'll probably use those up myself.

9 Grain Breakfast

1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons rolled 9 grain flakes
1/3 cup dehydrated bananas
1 tsp ground flax
1 tsp ground chia
1/2 tsp stevia and spenda sweetener
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Label: 1 cup boiling water, 5 minutes

Substitutions:
for sweetener:
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp sugar
for fruit:
1/3 cup diced dehydrated sweetened papaya
1/3 cup diced dehydrated sweetened mango
(ideally, dried berries if you have them)

There's more recipes if anyone is interested and I'll be trying them out until they are gone. Then I'll probably make fresh ones for future trips/emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom