Cooking magazines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't subscribed to paper magazines for a long time. Back in the day, I used to get "Good Housekeeping" (anyone remember that one? :)) and Bon Appetit....probably a few more, but I can't remember the names.

Last edited:
Here's one of those "free recipes", that Milk Street posts - good for 10 days or 2 weeks, I don't see anything on this to say when it expires, but it just came. Pasta with creamy asparagus sauce:
https://www.177milkstreet.com/recip...115791025&mc_cid=2ae4ff2e62&mc_eid=aa0130ea51

Asparagus just went on sale for $.99/lb here - must be harvest time much farther south, since we are getting snow tonight! lol

Thanks for this Pepper. I adore fresh asparagus, and I printed out the recipe before it goes away. ;)

I haven't subscribed to paper magazines for a long time. Back in the day, I used to get "Good Housekeeping" (anyone remember that one? :)) and Bon Appetit....probably a few more, but I can't remember the names.

Oh sure Cheryl...I kept Publishers Clearing House in business back in the day before computers, when everything was hard copy. I must have subscribed to a dozen or more magazines pertaining to homemaking, cooking, even parenting. Piles of them everywhere, especially in the bathroom. lol Then came passing them on to neighbors, or finally throwing them in the trash back when there was no recycling. The only remaining subscription I continue to get is Psychology Today.

We get a bunch of the most popular home making and health mags at my place of business each month (for free) and they each have their own food sections that I usually take a peek at.

Back in the 80's, a woman where I worked, asked if anyone wanted her old cooking magazines. Not knowing what I was getting into, I said yes. The next day she showed up with a car trunk full of magazines. That is how I got started saving recipes. And that is why I now have 300 binders full of them.:ohmy::eek:hmy

Watch out people, it might be catching. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back in the 80's, a woman where I worked, asked if anyone wanted her old cooking magazines. Not knowing what I was getting into, I said yes. The next day she showed up with a car trunk full of magazines. That is how I got started saving recipes. And that is why I now have 300 binders full of them.:ohmy::eek:hmy

Watch out people, it might be catching. :LOL:

Curious.... Do you keep the 300 binders for reading enjoyment or to cook the recipes.. If the latter, approx how many different recipes might you cook in a months time.. :)

Ross

Curious.... Do you keep the 300 binders for reading enjoyment or to cook the recipes.. If the latter, approx how many different recipes might you cook in a months time.. :)

Ross

Ross, we actually cook from the recipes. We usually average 15 to 20 new recipes a month. I keep them all in binders. I have a copy of every recipe we have made since 1988. Date, who made it, who ate it, personal info., review of recipe, and rating of recipe. Something to hand down to grandkids, if they want it. I know , TMI, TMI :LOL:

Ross, we actually cook from the recipes. We usually average 15 to 20 new recipes a month. I keep them all in binders. I have a copy of every recipe we have made since 1988. Date, who made it, who ate it, personal info., review of recipe, and rating of recipe. Something to hand down to grandkids, if they want it. I know , TMI, TMI :LOL:

Souschef just told me to "step away from the keyboard"......:wacko::ermm:

Thank you... Not TMI.. I asked, you delivered... :)

I was curious as, when I first became computer literate, I created many, many files of recipes.. Some I made, some became family favorites but, many were just recipes I enjoyed studying for method, ingredients, etc..

Before leaving Cali, I went through my laptop and deleted what came to be 100's of recipes.. I don't cook as frequently now, maybe 3 or 4 full meals a week so, it just became a bit overwhelming, to me..

I now keep a printed folder for savory and one for desserts.. Pretty much a rotation thingy..

Ross

Why? Because you think I am wacko for doing what I call "my hobby"?

You're OCD is so obvious, there's no need for me to explain it to anyone but you.

Last edited:
I've clipped recipes out over the years. Pretty much tossed them on a pile. :LOL: Some had been sorted through and organized into expandable file folders, so I've renewed my effort to go through the rest. However, more than half of the clippings are now going into the recycling bag. Why? Mostly because I no longer cook in the same style as many magazine recipes - no convenience shortcut foods, different balance of fats or salt, most of them seem so old-fashioned in their approach. By the time I've gone through them all, what I feel I will actually use might amount to maybe three or four binders worth (but they won't be IN binders, since the accordion folder system works for me). Since we're planning (for like the upteenth year) on moving back to OH, the thought of paying to move all of those binders, and the cost associated with it, would make me pitch them all. YMMV*, though. ;)

*Your Mileage May Vary

You're OCD is so obvious, there's no need for me to explain it to anyone but you.

As I said, my "HOBBY" for over 30 years is something I have found to be very relaxing, interesting, enjoyable, fun to share with hundreds of people and having thousands of delicious meals. I'm sorry you can't see it that way. Your loss. ;)

I've clipped recipes out over the years. Pretty much tossed them on a pile. :LOL: Some had been sorted through and organized into expandable file folders, so I've renewed my effort to go through the rest. However, more than half of the clippings are now going into the recycling bag. Why? Mostly because I no longer cook in the same style as many magazine recipes - no convenience shortcut foods, different balance of fats or salt, most of them seem so old-fashioned in their approach. By the time I've gone through them all, what I feel I will actually use might amount to maybe three or four binders worth (but they won't be IN binders, since the accordion folder system works for me). Since we're planning (for like the upteenth year) on moving back to OH, the thought of paying to move all of those binders, and the cost associated with it, would make me pitch them all. YMMV*, though. ;)

*Your Mileage May Vary

Believe me, I have tossed out more than my fair share. Like you, I have found that our taste has changed over the years and certain things we no longer like. Like rosemary, I don't bother keeping any recipe that calls for that. I have weeded out 3" binders down to 2" in a lot of categories. Yes, I have spent a lot of money on my hobby, but then I'm not spending it on too much else. lol

It isn't the money spend on a hobby, cookie, it's the trouble and cost of moving possessions. We had to move 600+ miles when Himself's job was relocated. It. Was. Not. Fun - and it was a corporate move, most everything handled (or paid for) by the company. I want to get back home (MA is a nice place to visit, but...), and I want it to involve as little trouble and cost as possible. The less we have to pack, the less we have to haul, the less The Move will cost. Besides, if I haven't cooked that recipe in the 40 years since I tore it out of the magazine, I'm pretty sure I won't every bother making it. :LOL:

Meanwhile, our neighbors across the street are appreciating my cleaning efforts. I've been getting rid of many craft-making items and taking them over to the family with three kids ranging in age from 11 to 4. My overly large supply of stock paper and card-making supplies are being put to good use.

I went through all of those old mags I had, copying any recipes that looked good, or that I had already made, and liked. I did the same with all of my woodworking magazines, saving those with plans that I liked. After this, I sold them to a used magazine shop nearby, for next to nothing - I didn't get much, but I figured it was better to let someone else get something out of them, than to toss them.

DH just came in with the mail. 2 magazines, R R Everyday and Woman's Day. FINALLY !! Something new to read. :rolleyes::)

Sorry to say, I don't think I will be renewing "Woman's Day". The few recipes they have just don't appeal to me. Except, maybe, the recipe for "Chocolate Stout Whoopie Pies". That has me wondering. lol

Here is something else I have been wondering about. Most mag. come in a plastic cover to hold the few ads that come with the mag. With all the problems this world has with too much plastic waste, why do they still use the plastic covers, why haven't they stopped this? Can't they put the ads inside? :mad:

Last edited:
Here is something else I have been wondering about. Most mag. come in a plastic cover to hold the few ads that come with the mag. With all the problems this world has with too much plastic waste, why do they still use the plastic covers, why haven't they stopped this? Can't they put the ads inside? :mad:

Well, perhaps, they should all go paperless and become web based subscriptions only.

Back
Top Bottom