canning shrimp cocktail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffsta

Cook
i'm wondering if you can do the following: shrimp cocktail

not just the sauce, but the sauce with shrimp in the jars.. like the ones i used to buy.. but they were always refrigerated when you bought them. i just want to make it and cann it and be shelf stable for whenever i want it..

i seen a couple of people doing it, but i don't know if it's safe or can really be done - (see links below).. if so, is it best to pressure canned or water bath?

Mexican shrimp cocktail - not real canning, just watched the vid he posted.. he made it and took it to the beach.

regular shrimp cocktail

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2s.png
    2s.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Plain shrimp can only be pressure canned.
Cocktail sauce can be water bath canned or pressure canned.
or https://www.bernardin.ca/recipes/en/seafood-cocktail-sauce.htm?Lang=EN-US

It's important with seafood to not use jars larger than called for in the recipe.
Some people say you could can them together if you pressure can them for as long as needed for the longest needed pressure canning times for the individual ingredients (shrimp, tomatoes, horseradish, ...) . However, I don't see any recipes for both cocktail sauce and shrimp in the same jar from the NCFHP, university extension offices, Ball, or Bernardin.

Ruffsta, I think there can be nothing faster nor fresher than shrimp cocktail. Jars of cocktail sauce, even after opening, last forever in the fridge, at least in my experience. Shrimp, frozen, cooked, defrost in minutes. Just be sure to sop up the defrosting water to dry them.

Spread them on a plate on layers of paper towel and zap in micro wave for seconds at a time to defrost.

However, I don't see any recipes for both cocktail sauce and shrimp in the same jar from the NCFHP, university extension offices, Ball, or Bernardin.

that's unfortunate, as i do want both in a jar.. that's what it's meant to be and what i am looking for.

@dragnlaw, i'm a chef by trade for the past 15yrs and worked with chef Robert Irvine.. i know how to cook and use shrimp. i just wanted to know if you could cann shrimp in cocktail sauce like what i used to buy back in the day. and

that's a bad way to defrost shrimp on top of it all! either run them under cold water or take them out and put in the fridge a day before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom