ISO bell peppers...potato...carrot...egg plant.....onion....recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raggs

Cook
the only fresh veges available and limited to cook top ....not a great advocate of the a fore mentioned but must put some greens in my diet of eggs, beans. rice cakes, dairy , nuts, fruits .... creative ideas ?

Onions, bell peppers and celery are the cajun "Trinity." Mix that into some beans, add some spices, let it simmer, and pour it over rice, and you have a good cajun supper. You don't have to stick to green bell peppers. Red, yellow and orange bell peppers taste better, and you still get your veggies. Use whole grain brown rice to get a healthier meal that tastes just as good.

I hate eggplant, so I can't help you with that.

CD

Onions, bell peppers and celery are the cajun "Trinity." Mix that into some beans, add some spices, let it simmer, and pour it over rice, and you have a good cajun supper. You don't have to stick to green bell peppers. Red, yellow and orange bell peppers taste better, and you still get your veggies. Use whole grain brown rice to get a healthier meal that tastes just as good.

I hate eggplant, so I can't help you with that.

CD
thanks

I just realized that all of those vegetables can be cut small and used in a stir fry, with or without meat, with or without rice (and egg). I'm not sure how well the potato would work in a stir fry. When I have had potato in a Chinese resto, it has usually been a dish where the potato was the star and it was cut into shoestrings.

I often use pepper and onions (sometimes carrots too) diced small to make a 'sauce' for a stir fry (which can be steamed instead if you like). Cook them first until they are soft, then start adding bigger pieces of veggies, big cut peppers, onions, matchstick carrots and cook until cooked through or still a little crisp. Add the carrot matchsticks first, onions next, big cut peppers last. Then to sauce it, I add seasonings, cold broth or water, and cornstarch mixed up in a bowl. Between the onions and peppers that are small and soft and the sauce, they mix together and adhere to the bigger pieces, glazing it.
This one has green beans in it. (probably squash and tomatoes too)
greenbeanveggies-003.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom