Alcohol or NO alcohol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowCook66

Senior Cook
Hi

Are we allowed to add real alcohol in a commercializable microwave fudge recipe ?

I could add a few table spoons of alcohol in the sweetened condensed milk before adding it to the chocolate. But the fudge will contain real alcohol! Is this allowed?

Thanks

As taxy has said, but in any case you are required by most laws to list your ingredients. If people don't want to ingest an ingredient - then they just won't buy it. Not a big deal. If that's how you want to make it, then do so!

Hi

Are we allowed to add real alcohol in a commercializable microwave fudge recipe ?

I could add a few table spoons of alcohol in the sweetened condensed milk before adding it to the chocolate. But the fudge will contain real alcohol! Is this allowed?

Thanks

I make my own vanilla extract, and it has significant alcohol content. I know grocery stores here can't sell the stuff from Mexico in Texas. I use about a teaspoon of my homemade vanilla extract, and that wouldn't get a toddler tipsy in a batch of cookies. But, the law is the law.

You would probably run into some issues, certainly in a Bible Belt state like Texas, if your fudge has any alcohol in it.

You'll need to check your own state/provincial laws.

CD

There could also be licensing involved. I wonder if you could sell it through a liquor store.

I imagine I could sell my vanilla extract that way, but I can't find Mexican vanilla extract here, even in liquor stores. Probably not a big enough market. Most people are fine with the imitation stuff.

Fudge with some alcohol in it might be okay in small amounts in a farmer's market, as long as nobody knows it's in there. If you produce enough to require proper labeling, it could be a problem.

CD

I imagine I could sell my vanilla extract that way, but I can't find Mexican vanilla extract here, even in liquor stores. Probably not a big enough market. Most people are fine with the imitation stuff.

Fudge with some alcohol in it might be okay in small amounts in a farmer's market, as long as nobody knows it's in there. If you produce enough to require proper labeling, it could be a problem.

CD
The problem with Mexican vanilla isn't the alcohol. Labeling laws are different in Mexico. A lot of Mexican vanilla includes the extract of Tonka beans, (unlabeled), in addition to the vanilla bean. A chemical in Tonka beans is coumarin, which is toxic to the liver in large quantities. The FDA has outlawed Tonka beans for years because of the coumarin.

And artificial vanilla, as well as many other "flavors" and "extracts" have alcohol in them, sometimes in a higher percentage than the standard 35% in vanilla extract.

The sell vanilla in the grocery stores, depanneurs, where ever food stuffs are sold. Have no idea why it isn't labeled as alcohol but I'm guessing it is pretty nasty to take a swig of it. Think someone might chuck it up before being able to finish a tiny bottle.

But the OP isn't asking about vanilla. He's asking about alcohol. The only way he's going to know is by asking the proper authorities. I think the Liquor boards would have a bit to say about it. Quebec (SAQ) and Ontario (LCBO) have some rather strict laws on it.

Last edited:
The problem with Mexican vanilla isn't the alcohol. Labeling laws are different in Mexico. A lot of Mexican vanilla includes the extract of Tonka beans, (unlabeled), in addition to the vanilla bean. A chemical in Tonka beans is coumarin, which is toxic to the liver in large quantities. The FDA has outlawed Tonka beans for years because of the coumarin.

Yes, that is true, but since I make my own vanilla extract, I know what is in it. Mexican vanilla beans are better than Madagascar beans, IMO. It's like tequila, you have to know what to buy. Most gringos buy Quervo Gold because of a Steely Dan song, but that is nasty tequila. Just like Corona beer or Bacardi rum... nasty.

CD

I happen to think both Corona & Bacardi are nice. Although I don't drink either anymore, if I were to drink beer it would be a 'light' beer. Bacardi Anejo rum is soooo smooth and a taste like... a dream come true.

I happen to think both Corona & Bacardi are nice. Although I don't drink either anymore, if I were to drink beer it would be a 'light' beer. Bacardi Anejo rum is soooo smooth and a taste like... a dream come true.

My parents lived in Puerto Rico for three years in the 1980s. Before that, they bought Bacardi. Once they got there, they found out that Bacardi is what the homeless alcoholics drank, because it was less than two-bucks a bottle.

On my trips to Mexico, I noticed most stores and bars did not promote Corona beer. I learned that it is what the "gringos" drink. Pacifico and Sol were the most commonly consumed beers, with Modelo being the top premium beer.

Bacardi and Corona are popular in the US because of good marketing.

CD

Well, some people like the taste... just saying.
Yes, I've had Jamaican rum (BIL is Jamaican) and I've been to Jamaica as well. So even though marketing might play a good part but it's when that's what people learn to like - doesn't mean it is bad (and believe me, I've had some pretty bad rum, one swallow and thought I would upchuck). It's just what they grown up on and maybe your "good stuff" tastes like crap to them. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom