Would love some help with mochi creation! Japanese dessert menu using red bean paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicG

Assistant Cook
Hi, all. New to the forum.
I am making a four-course, Japanese menu, and needed some help with the dessert.

I have a dessert trio of Japanese coffee jelly, pocky sticks, and mochi ice cream balls.

I have my brewing and gelatinizing of my cold brew down. I have a mild, almost tea-tasting pour-over coldbrew that I gelatinize with caramel and top with freshly whipped cream for my coffee jelly, and have crispy vanilla wafer sticks with various coatings, including pomegranate white chocolate, matcha, coconut, and some others

I would like to add some mochi ice cream balls to finish off the trio of dessert samplers to have as a perfect high-end share dish, but was struggling with coming up with some of the combinations of mochi dough and ice cream interior.
All my mochi balls will have a flavored and colored dough, ice cream interior, and some type of garnish.

The combinations that I have are as follow:
- Matcha mochi with strawberry/lemon ice cream interior, served over a dab of honey/rosewater simple syrup
- Chocolate mochi with coffee and amaretto ice cream interior, with a small amount of orange zest as a garnish
- Passion fruit mochi with blood orange ice cream interior, with freshly sliced kiwi as a garnish

Now the one that I'm not sure about: Red bean mochi with black sesame ice cream interior.
when I was originally coming up with this recipe I had originally done the matcha mochi with the black sesame ice cream interior, but decided I preferred the strawberry lemon inside the matcha.

I have seen many recipes going over putting red bean paste inside your mochi balls, but I was wondering if there was any way to infuse the dough itself with red bean flavor. For the matcha, I just add a bit of matcha powder, for the chocolate, a bit of cocoa powder, and for the passionfruit, a bit of powdered passionfuit extract that I found in my local Asian store.

I havent come up with an elegant solution for making my dough colored red and tasting like red bean.

Alternatively, I could make red bean ice cream and a black sesame mochi exterior, but I would rather have the black sesame be the ice cream on the inside.

Has anyone heard of making mochi dough with red bean, as opposed to just stuffing it with red bean paste?

Do y'all have any suggestions for pairings of flavors? Would love to hear any input on creating a varied but still coherent menu that offers a lot of choices and diversity while still making sense.

I have found that infusing the dough with flavor is not a complicated process. Usually I just add some matcha po

Wow, that is some menu! and some undertaking. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of any of those ways for making either the dough or ice cream.
Personally I think offering more than 3 choices is a bit overwhelming. If your guests have been served, in the past, some of those mochi balls in the flavours you've already stated, then you could add a new one for them. But I would still remove one of the others keeping it to 3. Already each of the mochi balls have a variety of tastes/flavour in them.
Unless of course, you are a restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom