Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Roch and Steve. Decided I can't even do moderate carbs, minimal to no carbs for me.

Isn't it funny how, for some of us, such a small amount makes such a big difference? I can eat 3000-4000 calories a day, and as long as I keep the carbs to a minimum, I don't gain an ounce. But if I up the carbs even a little bit, the weight starts to drift back up again. A few months ago I tried to up my intake to 30-35g a day and within three weeks I had put on 6 pounds. Not to mention I had heartburn for the first time in over a year. :huh:

I'd so much rather skip the bread and rice, and stay thin and feel good.

Last edited:
Thank you, Cheryl

Isn't it funny how, for some of us, such a small amount makes such a big difference? I can eat 3000-4000 calories a day, and as long as I keep the carbs to a minimum, I don't gain an ounce. But if I up the carbs even a little bit, the weight starts to drift back up again. A few months ago I tried to up my intake to 30-35g a day and within three weeks I had put on 6 pounds. Not to mention I had heartburn for the first time in over a year. :huh:

I'd so much rather skip the bread and rice, and stay thin and feel good.

It is strange, I am still in the "feeling a bit punk" stage as my body shifts over. But, the scales are already whispering sweet nothings and my glucometer is happy.

I am also trying to lose few pounds and found green tea really effective. Green tea thrice a day plus some exercise is surely helping me to lose weight.

I was trying to lose weight, well I am big lass but I am happy as I am. So far all diet are no go due to my muscle problems. So what does my doctor do, send me for a scan to see how much fat I have around my organs. Guess what, I am just a well insulated house with open plan layout, yes no fat around my organs. So back to the drawing board and he thinks if I eat more, so my body store less that might be the answer.

So far, I still havent manage to eat the breakfast he wanted , it way more then I can stomach and the same with lunch and dinner.

Feels so weird being big and told to eat more.

My previous stance was, "I'd rather be fat and happy, than flat and snappy!":angel:

I eat as much as my four year old, sometimes she eat more then me.

My motto is I rather be loved then anything else and I am.

Thank you, Cheryl

It is strange, I am still in the "feeling a bit punk" stage as my body shifts over. But, the scales are already whispering sweet nothings and my glucometer is happy.

I am with you. As long as my glucometer and doctor are happy with me, then so am I. Although I have lost so much weight, he has asked me if I am now anorexic. No, I am just not as active as I used to be, therefor I have a smaller appetite now. Every so often I try to take a walk outside the building. But there is a big difference between walking inside on a floor that has give and a cement sidewalk. Most of the time I can't even make it from the door to the sidewalk. I also find when I get full of ambition, I start getting chest pains. Something I can do without. Right now I am 5-10 pounds more than I want to be. According to my doctor, I am fine where I am. :angel:

Last edited:
Cut the carbs, cut the sugar, you will lose weight. I have shrunk a size a year since 2013? No sugar, no complex carbs, no processed food, eat my big meal in the morning, usually don't eat after 3:00 p.m. I am now between a size 4 and 6. I was a size 14. I have large bones and am 5'6" tall. Dont miss the carbs or sugar.

Cut the carbs, cut the sugar, you will lose weight. I have shrunk a size a year since 2013? No sugar, no complex carbs, no processed food, eat my big meal in the morning, usually don't eat after 3:00 p.m. I am now between a size 4 and 6. I was a size 14. I have large bones and am 5'6" tall. Dont miss the carbs or sugar.

I did well on a low carb diet, but when I do that, I miss bread, especially Scandinavian style crisp rye bread and Danish style heavy rye bread. I also miss potatoes and pasta.

If you are only eating from early morning until 1500, then you are doing something called "intermittent fasting", which may have more health benefits than just losing weight.

DH lost 30 lbs in 14 weeks, I'm down 29 lbs, and both of us recently hit the normal bmi range. Yay.

DH lost 30 lbs in 14 weeks, I'm down 29 lbs, and both of us recently hit the normal bmi range. Yay.
My BMI is 6. Kind of a shock, but that is what it is. I am guessing, I never weigh myself and turn my back when my dr does, that I must have lost 30-40 lb to get to a size 6/4 on the bottom. I am still a 12 on the top because I have large bones. Designer dress size I am a size 8, but that's not the true size. I go by whether my clothes fit. I don't care how much I weigh.

My BMI is 6. Kind of a shock, but that is what it is. I am guessing, I never weigh myself and turn my back when my dr does, that I must have lost 30-40 lb to get to a size 6/4 on the bottom. I am still a 12 on the top because I have large bones. Designer dress size I am a size 8, but that's not the true size. I go by whether my clothes fit. I don't care how much I weigh.
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
Maybe we are talking about something other than a BMI of 6. Maybe a size 6? A 5 foot 7 inch person with a bmi of 6 would weigh 40 lbs, and I just think you might be talking about something else.

That's so great that you are comfortable in your clothes. I'm hoping to fit into a different set of clothes in the near future.

I always lose a little weight in the summer, just because of all of the veggies I eat, but I still have to eat less!! It's hard to do that when some things are so good! Friends are always scolding me about how they cant stop eating, when they come over. ;)

I have never gone on a low carb diet, but 6 or 7 years ago I reduced my carb intake because I went on an Indian food kick - something I've done with several cuisines, to learn all I could about them, and acquiring all of the ingredients possible. Before this, I was eating Thai food (another thing I did this with, years earlier!) at least 3 times a week, and this means leftovers, too. And I was buying Jasmine rice in 25 lb bags at the Asian market, just for myself! But when I was cooking all of that Indian food, I didn't cook much of the rice dishes, even though that is most of what they eat, but the dal, and other legume dishes, and I went long periods of time on a vegetarian diet, without really doing it on purpose! In 6 -7 months I lost over 40 lbs, without even trying! I realized that it was losing that Jasmine rice from my diet, for the most part. I still had carbs, but most of the flatbreads I got into cooking were whole grain, not white flour. And the carbs in all those legumes were not bad carbs. Now, when I occasionally have some jasmine rice, I combine it with millet - an under-used grain in this country, with a lot of nutrition, and very mild in flavor, so the jasmine comes through.

Bread I have to bake once in a while, and I always try to make it mostly whole grain. Jasmine rice and chocolate were my downfalls, as far as carbs. For any chocolate things, I simply don't make them unless I'm taking them somewhere, or a number of people will be eating them for me.

I just joined a gym, not to lose weight, but because I had physical therapy that was going on, for a knee surgery, and it was stopped. My therapist told me that he suggested that I get into one of these gyms when they have those deals, and go in and use their machines, to continue the therapy, so that it doesn't relapse. Hopefully this will help the weight, too.

Kenmiller-congratulations. Keep up the good work. Whatever you are doing must be working for you.

Pepper, we keep cooked grains on hand, for salads, like millet, whole wheat, brown rice, quinoa. They give it such a great variety of textures and they are filling. I eat complex carbs and lots of them.

I too love the vegetable choices in summer with the gardens producing lots of greens, peppers, and tomatoes.

SkilletLicker-congratulations. Whatever you are doing must also be working for you. I felt a sense of accomplishment these past two winters, not gaining even though we live where there is lots of snow since we mostly stay inside during those months. That was an accomplishment for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom