What makes manufactured marshmallows harder to absorbed ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

padakunci

Assistant Cook
The reason why i make that question is because i want to make crispy treats using homemade marshmallow,
the issue : when it melts and something crispy is added, the melted marshmallow gets absorbed into the crispy thing, and eventually becomes soggy.
It is very different from factory-made marshmallows which are difficult to melt and are not absorbed by the crispy thing, the crispiness remains intact and crunchy.

What makes manufactured marshmallows not easily get absorbed ?

My ingredients to make homemade marshmallow : gelatin, modified corn starch, sugar, fructose, water.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I don't have that problem when making Rice Krispie Squares. Once set the rice absorbs the marshmallows. There is butter added to the marshmallow when it is first melted and perhaps that helps.
I always thought the reason for the butter was simply to keep it from sticking to the pan. Of course it does anyway, but also adds a tiny touch of salt taste to it.

Or perhaps it is the crispy thing that is the cause. Have you done it both ways? Do you find it softens with your homemade but not store bought?

The manufacturer may have a different version of "that crispy thing", a version that doesn't absorb marshmallow.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I don't have that problem when making Rice Krispie Squares. Once set the rice absorbs the marshmallows. There is butter added to the marshmallow when it is first melted and perhaps that helps.
I always thought the reason for the butter was simply to keep it from sticking to the pan. Of course it does anyway, but also adds a tiny touch of salt taste to it.

Or perhaps it is the crispy thing that is the cause. Have you done it both ways? Do you find it softens with your homemade but not store bought?
Are you ever comparing your homemade marshmallow crispy treats VS manufactured marshmallow crispy treats ? for me i already did, and yes i added butter too, i test it with same cereal or another crispy things.

- Manufactured marshmallow take more long time to melt + they don't get sticky in pan. My pan still clean after I melt the marshmallow and added something, It's so much fun to make crispy treats using store-bought marshmallows, no hassle at all. The crunchiness lasts forever
- Homemade marshmallow melt faster and so sticky in pan even added butter, when something crispy added, The crispiness only lasts for 12 hours after that it becomes soft.

My DIL does homemade marshmallows on occasion. I never have. Grew up using the other stuff so that is my go to. Although I do know hers are very much more "softer" and I can imagine that they melt rather fast.

Honestly, other than for toasting over campfires only other use I have for them are the Rice Krispie treats.

Back
Top Bottom