My August pear cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meryl

Sous Chef
Hi @dragnlaw, here's the recipe you kindly requested :

Ingredients :

300g plain flour
150g sugar
3 whole eggs
100g melted butter
1 sachet of baking powder (16g)
grated lemon rind (or lemon aroma)
1 sachet of powdered vanilla aroma
100ml milk
Cinnamon (optional)
3/4 ripe peeled pears (not too small, otherwise you'll need more)

Procedure :

Preheat oven at 180 degrees or 170 if ventilated.
Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl, add butter, milk, lemon rind and continue mixing Then add the sifted flour a little at a time while mixing, followed by baking powder and finally, the chopped/sliced pears.
If you like, a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Pour mixture in a greased and floured cake tin (24/26 inch) and bake for approx. 40 minutes.

This is the classic recipe for our traditional "Torta di Mele" - Apple Cake, which is a typical Autumn cake when we have huge varieties of apples on sale, but in Summer we have August pears, so we adapt the recipe 😀.
You can add chocolate chips or raisins for an even more scrumptious delight🙂.

Thank You Merle!
I'm going to take it that the sachet of vanilla powder would be about = to either 1/2 tsp/2.5 ml or even 1 tsp/5ml? I'll start with the lesser amount.

I like that any fruit is interchangeable with it!

I do have another question. To me a 'torte' is large and rather flat whereas a cake is smaller in circumference and thicker, fluffier.
Your 24/26 inch cake tin doesn't really fit either of my descriptions. Is it really that big?

Thank You Merle!
I'm going to take it that the sachet of vanilla powder would be about = to either 1/2 tsp/2.5 ml or even 1 tsp/5ml? I'll start with the lesser amount.

I like that any fruit is interchangeable with it!

I do have another question. To me a 'torte' is large and rather flat whereas a cake is smaller in circumference and thicker, fluffier.
Your 24/26 inch cake tin doesn't really fit either of my descriptions. Is it really that big?
Oops, sorry, I meant centimeters, not inches, my Anglo-Italian confusion again! 😁🤣
Wow, it would be very big indeed😅!!!

I usually use my 24cm cake tin for those doses. "Torta" is the Italian translation for "cake", like you say, thick and fluffy, and spongy 🙂.

I'm useless when it comes to metric - weather or measure. I have to look up everything. My kids were quite young when Canada went metric and they have no problem but I still have not been able to handle it.

Haha, I didn't notice that it said 24/26 inch cake pan and not 24/26 cm cake pan. I know that 24 cm is a reasonable size for a cake pan, so my brain just understood it as cm.

I forgot about the vanilla powder @dragnlaw , we buy packets of single-dose sachets, and each one weighs about 0,5g, very little,for an average size cake like the one I mentioned. Maybe equals a couple of pinches? It depends what's on sale at your local supermarkets, we also buy vanilla extract as a substitute, single-dose - each one is 2ml. I would have used 1 single dose. Extract is even more aromatic than the powder, of course. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20240811_063210.jpg
    IMG_20240811_063210.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom