Old El Paso Cornbread Mix, Southwest Style Review....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Old-El-Paso-Cornbread-Mix-Southwest-Style-Baking-Mix-13-5-oz_1f4d14a9-cdb0-4de0-b671-0ea935e1beae.8ad955b8eb96171e862aa08db70a6e34.jpeg

This is a new item from the company. I picked this up at Wal-mart.

The ingredients list at the very bottom said dried garlic which to me was odd.

I made to the directions on the box and cooked it.

This mix is more brown in color that cornbread I usually make from a box.

This is mild in heat but something in the flavor profile is going on for sure with it.

I liked the flavor but did not love it.

A medium sized thumbs up from me.

Was it sweet? I don't like jiffy corn muffin mix because it is sweet. I would welcome my quick mix as long as it wasnt sweet. I can certainly make my own but cornmeal doesn't keep very long when you don't use it often.

I haven't used a mix for cornbread, but if I ever do, I think I'll use Jiffy which is plain old cornbread.
Texmex, keep the cornmeal in the refrigerator. I don't use a lot so I stash mine in the refrigerator.

I haven't used a mix for cornbread, but if I ever do, I think I'll use Jiffy which is plain old cornbread.
I never make 'just plain' cornbread. To the normal cornbread ingredients, I like to add whole kernel corn and either sliced or gutted and diced jalopy peppers, depending on if I will be sharing it with someone who can't handle the heat. I bake it in a cast iron skillet that I preheated with the oven.

1711736932402.png

Cast IronSkillet Cornbread
Ingredients:
  • 1¼ cups yellow cornmeal
  • 1 Tbs granulated sugar
    1¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1¾ cups buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup whole kernel corn, fresh, frozen or canned
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (optional)
  • 4 Tbs of fat for the skillet (Some people use Crisco, some use cooking oil, some use lard and some use butter. I use bacon fat)

Instructions:​

Preheat the oven and a 10-inch cast iron skillet to 425F. DO NOT HANDLE SKILLET WITH BARE HANDS!

In a medium bowl, whiskthe cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salttogether. Pour the buttermilk into a small bowl, add the egg and whisk until blended.

Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they are completely combined. Fold in the corn and diced jalapeño (if using).

Put the fat in the pre-heated skillet and carefully swirl it around to coat the bottom and sides. AGAIN, DO NOT HANDLE SKILLET WITH BARE HANDS! Pour the batter into the pan, smooth to the edges of the skillet and place jalapeño slices (if using) on top. Bake at 425F for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cut the corn bread into 8 wedges. To serve, split each wedge in half horizontally and spread with butter, if desired.

Last edited:
One time, I wanted to make cornbread but I was out of cornmeal. I had a big bag of masa harina, though, so I decided to try using that. For some reason I also decided not to use any wheat flour - just the masa harina and the other ingredients. After all, it's a chemical-leavened bread, so it doesn't need the gluten in wheat to rise. It was really good - the corn flavor came through much better than the usual made with wheat flour. I've made it that way ever since. Btw, I keep the masa harina in the freezer to prevent it from going rancid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom