Greetings from Finland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bookkeeper

Assistant Cook
I'm Petri, a mid-forties bookkeeper from Finland :)

Full disclosure here: I have always hated cooking, and quite frankly believed I can't do it well. So over the years I've been fluctuating between making few super easy but completely bland dishes, and eating convenience food.

My staples were cooked eggs and chicken fillet with random frozen vegetables. No seasoning. No sauce. Just something to fuel myself. And then I started buying ready-to-eat meals. Bland, unhealthy, expensive.

I want to eat more healthy, save money, and find out whether I can enjoy cooking!? Maybe I am not completely hopeless at cooking!? So I decided to inventory what I have, and buy what I need for my home kitchen. A good investment for the future, I hope.

I guess I'm looking for easy victories first. Wish me luck:chef:

spent lots of time in Sweden, some less time in Norway.
however comma and all that, as I am given to understand . . . Finland culture and language is seriously different than 'the other usual Nordic cultures' - which is a really big time opportunity to set yourself apart from "every body else"

which is absolute no deterrent to cooking up whole bunches of sauces / dishes from other cultures.
you probably have ready access to 'all the ingredients' - so it's just a matter of "trial and perfect"

Last edited:
Hi there! Welcome to DC, Bookkeeper.
Why don't you go to the "Forums" title page, look for a category you are interested in, or a specific thing you would like to cook... and ask a question! We can help you get started in very simple terms, while at the same time trying not to bog you down with too many details. Those can always come later.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

My husband was an exchange student in Finland in the late '70s. He really enjoyed it, although he jokes about getting tired of having potatoes at every meal. He once asked the host mother to make a pizza and guess what? She put potatoes on it! 😁

We look forward to helping you learn to cook.

Hey, hey, Petri!

Welcome to DC!

I spent Summer Solstice in Saariselka, bonfire, panning for gold and a savusauna on a stream! Good memories! Reindeer was expensive but delicious!

I would love to help you any way I can!

What an excellent introduction Petri! I feel sure you will find your cooking "niche" and will come to enjoy cooking (and eating the results). There is no end of help and ideas here to get you started! Welcome. :)

Welcome to DC! My niece was trying to expand her cooking, and wanted healthy meals. She started out with "sheet pan" meals where everything cooks in the oven on a sheet pan. If you line the pan with parchment paper, clean up was easy. That may be one place to start!

I'm Petri, a mid-forties bookkeeper from Finland :)

Full disclosure here: I have always hated cooking, and quite frankly believed I can't do it well. So over the years I've been fluctuating between making few super easy but completely bland dishes, and eating convenience food.

My staples were cooked eggs and chicken fillet with random frozen vegetables. No seasoning. No sauce. Just something to fuel myself. And then I started buying ready-to-eat meals. Bland, unhealthy, expensive.

I want to eat more healthy, save money, and find out whether I can enjoy cooking!? Maybe I am not completely hopeless at cooking!? So I decided to inventory what I have, and buy what I need for my home kitchen. A good investment for the future, I hope.

I guess I'm looking for easy victories first. Wish me luck:chef:
You won't need luck because once you start learning how to season your food the way you like you will begin to love cooking. Cooking is a mindset. I cook with love. I have to love somebody to cut and chop and stand over a hot stove to cook my loved ones a dish they will enjoy. Ha.. I really do see cooking as a hug to my family members. Nothing is so satisfying as seeing people enjoying my cooking.

This is a great board to talk about cooking. Don't be shy ask lots of questions.
Welcome to the boards.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom