Best store bought macaroni and cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really a problem georgevan, take it out of packaging and put in a pot to heat. Or an oven safe plate/bowl/etc. I suggest to cover for the first bit. Just check the instructions.

But my thought is, if you are buying "store bought mac n cheese" you will have to heat it somehow! Of course, I guess, you could always eat it cold. :sneaky::sick:

I use Stouffer’s when I can find a deal or double coupon.

Recently the local Tops and PriceChopper have had Stouffer’s entrees 4/$10.00.

Quite often, I just cook some pasta and dress it with a knob of butter, good quality grated cheese, S&P.

Dinner in 15 minutes and very economical.

🐷🐷🐷

I've never tried a box Mac and Cheese, but I looked up what's available in Sainsburys, and was amused to see this review of "Grace Macaroni and Cheese":

1714253580164.png

If I could make homemade like Stouffer's, I'd eat that but I can't, so Stouffer's it is but only when they're not charging an arm and a leg. I will NOT pay almost $4 for some mac and cheese. We do have Main Street and Bob Evans here and I've never tried them. Maybe I will in the future.

There used to be a boxed mac and cheese that you just made with water and I remember it being really good. This was back in the 80s. Golden Grain was the company that made it, I think.

Stouffer's is available in single serving cups. Being single, making from scratch is limited to when I have guests. Those cups are just right for a last minute side for some meat I cooked. I often add some good cheese to mine to make it thicker, richer and customize the flavor profile.

CD
Where in the store do they sell those? Because I'd really like to have some for some side dishes, too.

This is not a criticism, but a cultural difference I guess, but I have never considered Macaroni Cheese (as it is called in the UK) to be a "side". To me it has always been a dish in its own right. That said, I have noticed it appearing as a side on Sunday lunch roast menus at some places over the past few years.

Given how filling pasta is, I would never choose it as a side dish. And with a roast dinner, you just can't beat a good roast potato for a side!

I've personally never liked the Velveeta "shells & cheese" or any other Velveeta mac & cheese product. It's way too salty and the texture is waxy.

Stouffer's is pretty good, but way too expensive. I used to buy it on sale, but these days even the sale price is too much.
I didn't like it either the 1 and only time I tried it, tasted watered down. I was just mentioning the brand.

I didn't like it either the 1 and only time I tried it, tasted watered down. I was just mentioning the brand.
When it comes to boxed mac & cheese dishes, I actually prefer the Kraft (or other boxed equivalents with the powdered cheese) to the types with the 'liquid' cheese pouches.

This is not a criticism, but a cultural difference I guess, but I have never considered Macaroni Cheese (as it is called in the UK) to be a "side". To me it has always been a dish in its own right. That said, I have noticed it appearing as a side on Sunday lunch roast menus at some places over the past few years.

Given how filling pasta is, I would never choose it as a side dish. And with a roast dinner, you just can't beat a good roast potato for a side!
Growing up macaroni and cheese was always an inexpensive main dish and was made with extra sharp cheddar cheese.

In our house it was baked and never had a creamy texture. We used to fight over the crunchy crispy bits around the edge of the baking dish.

Years ago, I read an article that tied the popularity of macaroni and cheese in America to the government’s surplus food program.

For years the government purchased huge amounts of surplus food in an effort to subsidize farmers and distributed that food to public school cafeterias and low income people.

1714287677976.jpeg

I remember arguing with my father many years ago when he insisted that I take time off from work to pick up his box of ‘free’ cheese at a church sponsored senior citizen food distribution center.

I just couldn’t make him understand that the money I was losing would buy us both a lot of cheese and I wouldn’t have to stand in line to get it.

He just wasn’t having it. 🤭

Last edited:
Many years ago, back when I was living in Philly, a local supermarket chain (ShopRite) had a promotion during Thanksgiving time. Iff you spent $300 over a certain period of time , you'd get a free Turkey or Ham for Thanksgiving. We shopped there religiously , and always met the $300 mark, but being vegetarian, it didn't really help us out any. Finally, I wrote a letter to corporate explaining the situation. They sent us a $10 store gift certificate, and from that point on started offering a large, Family sized Stouffer's Mac & Cheese as an option. Not sure if I was the only squeaky wheel complaining, but I'd like to think I had a big part win changing things up a bit. I loved the Stouffer's Mac & Cheese.

Sir LOB, mid 50's was living in Minn. late 50's was living in Germany. By the mid 60's was making my own home. Perhaps my mother just didn't buy it raising 5 kids in Minn. Perhaps it just wasn't available in Germany. Perhaps by the mid 60's the good ole Kraft blue boxes were more economical for my family of 4.
I do remember those cans of round O's in spaghetti sauce were too mushy for my tastes. Chef Boy-ar-dee ravioli was OK but bordering on mushy, was good for a lunch for my two kids but not enough to feed us all. Would have ended up being too expensive.... and anyways we preferred the Kraft.

A small tin of Heinz Macaroni Cheese often features in my lunch - though it must be improved with the addition of a large amount of either good strong cheddar, or a load of stilton. Way too bland otherwise.

Many years ago, back when I was living in Philly, a local supermarket chain (ShopRite) had a promotion during Thanksgiving time. Iff you spent $300 over a certain period of time , you'd get a free Turkey or Ham for Thanksgiving. We shopped there religiously , and always met the $300 mark, but being vegetarian, it didn't really help us out any. Finally, I wrote a letter to corporate explaining the situation. They sent us a $10 store gift certificate, and from that point on started offering a large, Family sized Stouffer's Mac & Cheese as an option. Not sure if I was the only squeaky wheel complaining, but I'd like to think I had a big part win changing things up a bit. I loved the Stouffer's Mac & Cheese.

I remember the "Turkey Bucks" days. For years, we never paid for a Thanksgiving Turkey.

CD

Sir LOB, mid 50's was living in Minn. late 50's was living in Germany. By the mid 60's was making my own home. Perhaps my mother just didn't buy it raising 5 kids in Minn. Perhaps it just wasn't available in Germany. Perhaps by the mid 60's the good ole Kraft blue boxes were more economical for my family of 4.
I do remember those cans of round O's in spaghetti sauce were too mushy for my tastes. Chef Boy-ar-dee ravioli was OK but bordering on mushy, was good for a lunch for my two kids but not enough to feed us all. Would have ended up being too expensive.... and anyways we preferred the Kraft.

That canned ravioli was one of my staples as a cash poor college student. I haven't had it in years, but sometimes I get tempted to buy a can, just for nostalgia.

CD

That canned ravioli was one of my staples as a cash poor college student. I haven't had it in years, but sometimes I get tempted to buy a can, just for nostalgia.

CD
It’s still on my rotation with a few other struggle favorites like bologna, Banquet pot pies, Campbell’s beans, etc…

“I yam what I yam and dats all what I yam …”
- Popeye

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom