Any recipe that is simple, easy, fast, .nutrients etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I get sick of long steps which take a lot of time and preparation (and effort). Call me lazy, thats ok. But I just made a beef lo mein dish that took a lot time and tasted like ####. And that isn't the first failure by a long shot.

How about this quick, but tasty and nutritions veggie dish. It helps to make it easy if you have frozen veggies, that are already cut into pieces, what Jacques Pépin calls letting the store be your sous-chef. I enjoy this and it's quick and easy.

If you don't have any frozen chopped or sliced onion, chop or slice some onion. Pull out any leafy greens that you happen to have on hand and roughly chop those into bite size pieces. You probably want about half a cup of chopped greens per serving. The leafy greens are optional. You can even use lettuce that is starting to wilt. It is handy to have a nice veggie mix or several kinds of frozen veggies. Choose something you like, whether it's individual veggies, a stir fry mix, California mix, or some other mix that you like. Have some curry paste handy. Pataks makes a lot of different curry pastes. Choose one at a heat level you think you will enjoy. Also, have some coconut milk, plain yogourt, or cream handy.

Start by frying your onions. Add garlic and/or ginger if you like those. Add a bit of the curry paste. Adding some now will wake up the flavours in the curry paste and help it spread to everything. Once the curry paste is fragrant, start adding frozen veggies. If it's a mix, add some of the mix. If it is individual types of veg, start with the ones that take the longest to cook, like carrots or larger pieces of broccoli or cauliflower. Then start adding corn and green beans and peppers. If you are using a tender green like baby chard or spinach, add it towards the end. If you are using something tougher, like kale, add it now. When everything looks like it is defrosted and has not changed to some dull green colour yet, add some coconut milk, yogourt, or cream (10% works fairly well). Taste your veggie dish. Add some more curry paste, if you think it needs it. Make it as saucy as you like by adding more coconut milk, yogourt, or cream. You could even add some veggie or chicken stock, especially if the sauce is getting to thick. Taste it again. Season with salt and optional pepper to taste. Add more curry paste if you think that would be good. Stir in any tender greens that you want to incorporate. I stir in baby peas right before I take this off the heat.

By the way, your choice of veg is what you have and what you like. This could lean towards Asian or easily lean towards Italian or other cuisines. It's up to you. Canned tomatoes, tomato paste or tomato sauce could be one of the ingredients, if that appeals to you.

There you go. One of my tastiest and easiest veggie side dishes. Of course, once you get it the way you like, you could always add some protein of choice and cook it with the veg, or used some already cooked protein that was left or planned over from a previous meal.

How about this quick, but tasty and nutritions veggie dish. It helps to make it easy if you have frozen veggies, that are already cut into pieces, what Jacques Pépin calls letting the store be your sous-chef. I enjoy this and it's quick and easy.

If you don't have any frozen chopped or sliced onion, chop or slice some onion. Pull out any leafy greens that you happen to have on hand and roughly chop those into bite size pieces. You probably want about half a cup of chopped greens per serving. The leafy greens are optional. You can even use lettuce that is starting to wilt. It is handy to have a nice veggie mix or several kinds of frozen veggies. Choose something you like, whether it's individual veggies, a stir fry mix, California mix, or some other mix that you like. Have some curry paste handy. Pataks makes a lot of different curry pastes. Choose one at a heat level you think you will enjoy. Also, have some coconut milk, plain yogourt, or cream handy.

Start by frying your onions. Add garlic and/or ginger if you like those. Add a bit of the curry paste. Adding some now will wake up the flavours in the curry paste and help it spread to everything. Once the curry paste is fragrant, start adding frozen veggies. If it's a mix, add some of the mix. If it is individual types of veg, start with the ones that take the longest to cook, like carrots or larger pieces of broccoli or cauliflower. Then start adding corn and green beans and peppers. If you are using a tender green like baby chard or spinach, add it towards the end. If you are using something tougher, like kale, add it now. When everything looks like it is defrosted and has not changed to some dull green colour yet, add some coconut milk, yogourt, or cream (10% works fairly well). Taste your veggie dish. Add some more curry paste, if you think it needs it. Make it as saucy as you like by adding more coconut milk, yogourt, or cream. You could even add some veggie or chicken stock, especially if the sauce is getting to thick. Taste it again. Season with salt and optional pepper to taste. Add more curry paste if you think that would be good. Stir in any tender greens that you want to incorporate. I stir in baby peas right before I take this off the heat.

By the way, your choice of veg is what you have and what you like. This could lean towards Asian or easily lean towards Italian or other cuisines. It's up to you. Canned tomatoes, tomato paste or tomato sauce could be one of the ingredients, if that appeals to you.

There you go. One of my tastiest and easiest veggie side dishes. Of course, once you get it the way you like, you could always add some protein of choice and cook it with the veg, or used some already cooked protein that was left or planned over from a previous meal.
Thanks for the in depth suggestion

Grocery shopping: Get a bag of shredded cabbage/carrots, a can or two of beans, make some rice (or boil in the bag kind), and some baked tortillas or chips. Taco sauce.

Assemble: Crumble up some tortillas, top with rice and beans, top that with cabbage/carrots shreds, and add enough taco sauce to flavor it. Eat it hot, warm, or cold.
Optional:
If you like to have chicken or beef with it, cook it up and add that too.
Shred up cheese to top it off if that is your thing.

Once you have all that stuff opened and made, you'll have enough for a few days...vary having it more like a salad or more like a main dish, hot or cold, you could even sprinkle ingredients over the tortilla chips and bake them for a hefty nacho dinner.

Grocery shopping: Get a bag of shredded cabbage/carrots, a can or two of beans, make some rice (or boil in the bag kind), and some baked tortillas or chips. Taco sauce.

Assemble: Crumble up some tortillas, top with rice and beans, top that with cabbage/carrots shreds, and add enough taco sauce to flavor it. Eat it hot, warm, or cold.
Optional:
If you like to have chicken or beef with it, cook it up and add that too.
Shred up cheese to top it off if that is your thing.

Once you have all that stuff opened and made, you'll have enough for a few days...vary having it more like a salad or more like a main dish, hot or cold, you could even sprinkle ingredients over the tortilla chips and bake them for a hefty nacho dinner.

Yeah, if you have some rice and some canned beans, you can have dinner with almost zero effort. That was a staple down in Port Arthur. I always have rice, canned beans and onions in the house. Add some seasonings, and I have a filling meal even when I don't feel like cooking.

CD

Noodle soup with 2 minute noodles.
Heat water, throw in sliced onion, spices (red curry paste is nice), some tomato, other veg..
Keeping high heat going
Add pack of noodles, fish sauce or soy sauce, when noodles are done, break in an egg and stir.
Done
(I would sometimes add coconut milk, makrut lime leaves and lemon juice, but you can go multiple ways)

Keep it simple, a baked potato, a fresh or frozen vegetable, and oven baked chicken, pork, fish, etc… require very little effort and usually yield enough leftovers for a couple of additional meals.

A small one pot boiled dinner with a variety of vegetables and a ring of kielbasa or a vacuum packed ham steak is another simple meal that provides leftovers for soup, hash, etc…

Breakfast for dinner is another basic choice.

Consider a microwave, for cooking vegetables, reheating leftovers, etc…

Go out for dinner, order delivery, or supermarket grab ‘n’ go.

Only you can decide what you enjoy and what meets your criteria.

Let us know what works for you and your situation.

When I first got interested in cooking, I watched Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals. She has great, quick recipes and gives a lot of tips about cooking as she goes along. Check out her videos on the Food Network site:

When I first got interested in cooking, I watched Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals. She has great, quick recipes and gives a lot of tips about cooking as she goes along. Check out her videos on the Food Network site:
Yeah, but you have to really be moving with them. I cooked along with her a couple of times back when she first started. Most people can't keep up and get it done within the 30 minutes as I seem to remember a lot of complaints that it wasn't realistic for an average cook. They weren't hard to make, but don't expect it to actually take 30 minutes for most cooks.

Sara Moulton makes weeknight meals that are pretty easy.

We make what was originally called Mexican rice way back when DD was a young kid. Nothing more than ground round or sirloin (so you can skip draining grease), onions, optional garlic, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, chile powder, and frozen mixed vegetables.

Yeah, but you have to really be moving with them. I cooked along with her a couple of times back when she first started. Most people can't keep up and get it done within the 30 minutes as I seem to remember a lot of complaints that it wasn't realistic for an average cook. They weren't hard to make, but don't expect it to actually take 30 minutes for most cooks.
I said I learned a lot about how to cook from watching the show, not that I cooked along with it or expected to do a meal in 30 minutes like she did. All the recipes are available to be printed out from the website. I thought it was a good teaching tool.

I said I learned a lot about how to cook from watching the show, not that I cooked along with it or expected to do a meal in 30 minutes like she did. All the recipes are available to be printed out from the website. I thought it was a good teaching tool.
And I didn't write that you did. I was explaining that 30 minutes isn't a realistic expectation for most.

I can make at least 20 different pasta recipes from what's currently in my fridge and freezer and generally takes no more time than it take to boil the water and cook the pasta.

Yes, I agree. When I don't have time that's what I do. No need to wash anything, peel, slice, chop, or any of those time-consuming jobs, limited waiting times. I usually have sliced zucchini in my freezer. While the water's boiling, I pan-fry chopped onions, throw in frozen zucchini, cook a few minutes. To add a little extra touch, I add frozen prawns, which will take just a little longer but still in the range of time of the pasta cooking time😅!
The fastest of course is pasta with a quick canned tomato sauce, or faster still, simply spaghetti "aglio e olio, peperoncino" (chopped garlic and a chilli pepper, parsley, in EVOO.) 😃

Yes, I agree. When I don't have time that's what I do. No need to wash anything, peel, slice, chop, or any of those time-consuming jobs, limited waiting times. I usually have sliced zucchini in my freezer. While the water's boiling, I pan-fry chopped onions, throw in frozen zucchini, cook a few minutes. To add a little extra touch, I add frozen prawns, which will take just a little longer but still in the range of time of the pasta cooking time😅!
The fastest of course is pasta with a quick canned tomato sauce, or faster still, simply spaghetti "aglio e olio, peperoncino" (chopped garlic and a chilli pepper, parsley, in EVOO.) 😃

My Uber driver to the airport this morning had a thick accent, and said he was from Tuscany, and I asked him where and he said from Firenze. He was surprised when I told him I'd been there, because most English speaking people only know "Florence." I told him I have a photo of Ponte Vecchio that I shot having in my home. His sister owns one of the shops on that bridge.

What a small world it is.

CD

How about a simple tuna noodle casserole?

New Age Tuna Noodle Casserole​

Ingredients:

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup dry sherry
1 Tbs sesame oil
½ cup ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
1 tsp grey sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb Sashimi grade Ahi tuna
3 eggs
2 cups flour
½ tsp kosher salt
2 quarts chicken stock
2 Tbs butter
½ cup celery, chopped
1 shallot, diced
1 ½ cups haricot verts
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh thyme
½ cup sour cream
1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
½ cup camembert cheese, diced
4 ounces dry white wine
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
¼ cup carrot, diced small
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small

Instructions:

Combine first seven ingredients (through black pepper), place in a plastic zipper bag, add the tuna and marinate for one hour. Remove the tuna from the marinade and discard marinade. Place the tuna in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes oruntil the tuna flakes easily with a fork. Flake the tuna and put aside.

Beat the eggs until frothy. Combine flour, kosher salt, and eggs to form a dough. Knead the dough until smooth. Turn the dough onto a floured cutting board and roll the dough, turning often, until thin. Let the dough dry for 45 minutes, then turn and dry another ½ hour. Cut the dried dough into noodles. Drop the noodles into boiling chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain and put aside.

Sauté the celery and shallot in 2 Tbs butter and put them aside. Place 1½cups haricot verts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then into an ice bath. Combine the tuna,noodles, celery and shallots in a bowl.

Finely chop the garlic and combine with the salt. Place the egg yolk and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add the olive oil as you continue to whisk. Once you've blended in all the olive oil, add the garlic, lemon, and thyme. Add the sour cream, gruyere cheese, camembert cheese, white wine, and nutmeg, then fold in the tuna, noodles, celery and shallot mixture.

Spoon all of theingredientsinto a buttered 4 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with scallion,carrot, and bell pepper.

Back
Top Bottom