Zanzibar Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Zanzibar Pork Seasoning fo 10 pounds of pork sausage:

Zanzibar-Brand Pork Flavour

3 TEASPOON CUMIN SEEDS
3 TEASPOON WHOLE BLACK PEPPER CORNS
3 TEASPOON CINNAMON
3 TABLESPOON TAMARIND PASTE (or 1 TABLESPOON ORANGE RIND)
3 TEASPOON CORIANDER SEEDS
3 TEASPOON TURMERIC
3 TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
3 TEASPOON GINGER POWDER (or 3" of ginger finger, fresh grated)
1 TABLESPOON PAPRIKA
10 WHOLE CLOVES (PULVERIZED)
15 DRIED CHILI PEPPERS (or use 1 TABLESPOOON CHILI PEPPER FLAKES)

Place in your foavorite mixer/mortar-pestal/cuisinart etc and pulverize; this mix is appropriate for 10 pounds of sausage. Omitting the tamarind and cinnamon in place of allspice and 3 TEASPOONS of allspice and 1 TABLESPOON of ORANGE RIND works well for this spice mix. For a true recipe, add this dry mix to 10 pounds of sausage first, and allow to marinate overnight. The next morning add 3/4 cup of distilled white wine (or apple cider) vinegar to the mix. The addition of one TABLESPOON of RAW TURBINADO SUGAR follows the addition of vinegar. If you desire a spice mix for combining beef and pork mince in sausage using this recipe it is suggested that you add 1.5 TABLESPOON OF GROUND MUSTARD SEED to the mix. This is a recipe acquire from the late J.J Costa, a spice merchant.

Add some Salt into the mix and I think you have a pretty interesting sausage.

Aferred the spice profile on that one be a little too exotic for the Tex-Mex pallette. Now New Yawkers prob like it :LOL:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Aferred the spice profile on that one be a little too exotic for the Tex-Mex pallette. Now New Yawkers prob like it :LOL:

bigwheel
I don't know BW..it's got cumin and peppers in it :LOL: Sounds Texus to me :LOL:

Sounds a lot like some Portugese Chourico or Linguica (forget which) I made one time..had a lot of real aromatic stuff in there..cinnimon..all spice..nutmeg etc. Couldnt really find anybody who liked it too well. Finally gave it away to a fella who say he might could get his dawgs to eat it. Nearly all them furrin sausages that I have bumped into aint much to brag on least as concerns somebody who aint used to eating it. Sure the natives of the particular country where it come from like it just fine cuz they dont realize it taste funny.

bigwheel

I waited till a ripe old age to find out that Zanzibar is spice central -- probably one of those places Christopher Columbus thought he was sailing toward.

Wikipedia said:
Zanzibar ... is the name for an archipelago in the Indian Ocean 25–50 km (15–30 mi) off the coast of East Africa, which is part of Tanzania.... Zanzibar's main industries are spices (which include cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper), raffia, and tourism.... Zanzibar is sometimes also referred to as the "Spice Islands," a term that is also associated with the Maluku Islands in Indonesia. Pemba Island is the only island apart from Zanzibar that still produces cloves on a major basis which is the primary source of spice income for the islands.
--John
(Population is predominantly Sunni Muslim, so no, they probably don't have a lot of pork there. ;) )

It is good practice to start with the biography of Christopher Columbus. If you ask the average person about Christopher Columbus, he or she will answer that he was the man who discovered America.Christopher Columbus Essay | bigpaperwriter.com Who studied history a little more carefully, even say a year of discovery. He is known as a truly great Explorer epic whose journey has radically changed the world.

Great Sauce

Found this and loved it

Ingredients
6 250 gram pork chops (or equivalent thereof)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp chopped rosemary
3 tsp honey
3 tsp soya sauce
2 tsp chutney (Wellington’s Mild fruit chutney is a great one)

Cooking instructions
Whisk the liquid ingredients together with a fork.
Put the chops into a large, sealable bag, and pour the marinade on top, reserving about a 1/4 cup for basting. Squish ’em around so that everything’s coated, and then rest the bag in a big bowl in the fridge for at least an hour, turning occasionally to make sure that everyone’s had their turn in the marinade. (It’s really, really better to do this overnight, to let the flavours truly saturate the meat.)
When you’ve got medium hot coals (or a heated grill) place your chops on the heat, and make sure to baste them frequently as you braai them until cooked through and slightly caramelised. www.fllscreenenclosures.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom