Your Preferred Ravioli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Do you prefer ready made ravioli from the store, or home made? What's your favorite ravioly fillings? Do you like meat in your fillings, spinach, and what kinds of cheese?

I prefer home made, with a filling of cheese, and bulk Italian sausage, all covered in either pesto, or a rich ragu. I like the texture that ground meat adds to the ravioli.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For taste and nutrition, I prefer homemade ravioli. But, realistically, I must prefer store bought, because of the convenience. I have gone to the effort of making the ravioli myself in years. I prefer a meaty filling, but cheesy ones with or without greens are good too.

I like everything from Chef Boyardee ravioli in a can to more upscale lobster ravioli.

IMO the best fillings for things like ravioli, kreplach, calzones, etc... are based on the odds and ends you find in the dark corners of the refrigerator.

Years ago, I read about someone buzzing up a slice of two of leftover pizza in the blender to make ravioli filling.

I had a Mushroom Ravioli in a cream sauce ( looking at their menu, I think it was the tomato Alfredo sauce) which was outstanding at a restaurant in Western Pennsylvania. Problem was, everytime I went back, was a during lunch hours, and that particular dish was only on the dinner menu.

Wild Mushroom Ravioli
Delicious ravioli filled with parmesan and mozzarella cheese, portabello and
crimini mushrooms sautéed with Madeira wine.

I also make home made Mushroom, or spinach filled

Mine are good, but theirs was better

Ground meat ravioli.
Spinach and ricotta.
Pumpkin and pine nuts.
goat cheese and pears.
Sundried tomato and ricotta.
And one which I ate in " Sotto" in Cinci - long roasted spare rib . OMG.

I really like the ravioli we made with a dough from butternut squash and a chicken marsala filling. Not fond of store bought.

sausage or mushroom or a combination. Nothing with ricotta. I dislike ricotta and avoid recipes that call for it.

I made a butternut squash ravioli with a browned butter-sage sauce. Himself gave it a side-eye when I handed him his plate, but gave it a taste. He really liked it! Liked it enough that I've made it at least once a year in autumn.

I like everything from Chef Boyardee ravioli in a can to more upscale lobster ravioli...
Mini-raviolis! I usually have one can on hand for nights when there are just enough leftovers for one of us. I let Himself have the leftovers because I'll be happy with those raviolis. Every once in a while I go over to the dark side of childhood favorites. :mrgreen:

I've never made ravioli, but I do like a meaty filling - either ground beef or sausage. I also love a well-made lobster ravioli. The one had in a local restaurant was made with tri-colored pasta. So good [emoji39]

Mini-raviolis! I usually have one can on hand for nights when there are just enough leftovers for one of us. I let Himself have the leftovers because I'll be happy with those raviolis. Every once in a while I go over to the dark side of childhood favorites. :mrgreen:

LOL! Last time I did that, I was sorry!!!
A few years back, I was real sick with some cold/flu thing. I whimpered a lot and said that my mother used to feed use Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, made with Kraft singles and white Wonder Bread.

So, my friend went to the grocery and brought the necessaries, and I had my old childhood comfort foods. Yech! A bite or 2 of each, and I wondered if it really made me sicker. Haven't tried that since.:ROFLMAO:

I'm too lazy to make ravioli. I like Kroger Brand beef ravioli that comes in a big bag only and it is kept in the family dinner frozen section so it's a miracle I ever found it. They're nice and tender and using that some tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce and mozzarella and a few slices of pepperoni you can make a pretty good quick bake. And if I recall that recipe is right on the bag.

I think Mushroom Ravioli with Browned Butter and Sage might be my very favourite.
Toss up between 4 Cheeses and Ricotta with Spinach as number two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom