Xanthan Gum as a thickening agent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Has anyone had experience using xanthan gum as a thickener for soups and gravies? Supposedly a little goes a long way, but I really have no idea how to use it.

Also, I'm wondering if it has a taste of any kind.

I just ordered some, and it should arrive later in the week. I suppose I can do some experimenting, but I'm hoping maybe someone on DC has used it and could give me some pointers.

Steve

I am curious,as well.

But FYI you can buy it in the bulk area at whole foods ... so you can buy small testing amounts.

I use it all the time. It's not something I would use to thicken soup's or gravy for, It should be used sparingly, to thicken a thin sauce and give it a little "shine". I mostly use it the lightly thicken & shine my hot sauce, Only using a 1/2 or teaspoon at a time in a half gallon of sauce. Too many options are used to thicken soups & gravy. I would use a roux instead.

Thanks S&P. Unfortunately, flour and cornstarch are no longer an option for me, so that's why I am looking for other alternatives.

What about guar gum? Have you ever used that?

Has anyone had any experience with this thickening agent?

The low carb thickener - Konjac flour

I still use a little cornstarch or Wondra flour to thicken soups and sauces. It contains about 7 grams of carbs per tablespoon and thickens a cup or so of liquid, a quarter cup of thin gravy has about 2 carbs.

The Interactions section has information on how it can affect blood sugar in people with diabetes. I'm guessing that's it.

Oh, I see. From my perspective, lowering blood glucose is precisely one of the reasons I'm looking at using this product. I don't currently take medication for my diabetes (or any medication at all, for that matter), so the possible drug interactions don't concern me at this time.

I read the same article. What did you see that I must have missed? :ermm:

The Interactions section has information on how it can affect blood sugar in people with diabetes. I'm guessing that's it.

The risk for hypoglycemia is a small part, bigger is the effect it has on the gut...I don't need anything that might help me go, I have enough problems with that. Same reason I cannot use artificial sweeteners.

The risk for hypoglycemia is a small part, bigger is the effect it has on the gut...I don't need anything that might help me go, I have enough problems with that. Same reason I cannot use artificial sweeteners.
I actually have the opposite problem on this Keto diet, due to not consuming a lot of fiber. I could use something to.... er.... encourage that activity. :blush:

When you start taking oral medication to treat your diabetes the problem will be solved! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Nope... no oral medication for me. My blood glucose has been between 82 and 93 for the last six days. Rock steady. The last spike I had - if you can even call it that - was 106 on Thanksgiving. And that was only because I went way over on my protein allotment for that day (protein turns to glucose if you take in more than your body uses).

I actually have the opposite problem on this Keto diet, due to not consuming a lot of fiber. I could use something to.... er.... encourage that activity. :blush:

I love salads...raw veggies...tell you what, I've learned to sprint while clenching.:wacko: It's hell getting old and your systems start changing...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom