Wood-fired Micro Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
Writing gear reviews used to be my business, and I scored quite a few test samples. I've had a Bio Lite camp stove for years. It has a battery-powered fan that's charged by the heat of the fire, and can also charge a mobile phone from a USB port.

I wasn't keen on the shape of the combustion chamber, about the same as a soup can. It can be hard to start and rather smoky, until you get the hang of it. But they just came out with a portable grill that intrigued me, so I actually bought one (about $60).

It's light and packs small. Not sure if I'd backpack it (unless there were fresh fish), but it could go on river trips and car camp-outs with no fuss. Set-up is simple. You get the stove going, pop out the folding legs, and set it in place. There's a flip-up port for refueling.

E5lOPw2.jpg

There's a flame spreader to even out the heat, and a grill. The stove has low and high fan settings, and it works best on low.

My wife lapses from her plant-based diet for beef franks from the local butcher. They come packed in fours, and on the charcoal grill I cook all four and have two cold leftovers. But this little grill makes it practical to cook two now and two whenever, with very little prep and a tiny amount of wood.

centsVw.jpg

The key bits are getting the stove hot before mounting the grill and burning only non-resinous hardwood without bark. I got it going with alder twigs, from our river path, and then added chunks of hickory that I keep for smoking bacon, which burns hot and clean.

I cooked fresh corn in the solar oven and had leftover potato salad, which made a meal, all told.

If you cook for 1-3 people, enjoy outdoor grilling, and have a source of dry hardwood, this is a good investment. Just got an electric chipper that yields 1-inch cubes, exellent fuel for this little grill.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-portable-grill

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom