Winter soul food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boozer

Sous Chef
Well, it's about -4 outside here in beautiful eastern Nebraska, Probably won't be q'ing or grilling for a bit. So, time for some kitchen cookin'. I had some bullhead fillets that I cought back when the weather was fine, and a man could cast a line out, instead of drilling a hole in the ice, and also some leftover rib trimmins in the freezer. So I fried up them fish, and made some collard greens and mustard slaw for the side.(slaw didn't make it into the pic, served it in separate bowls) My only regret was not baking some jap cownbread too.

Attachments

• 20131205_201507.jpg
    20131205_201507.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Nice lookin plate!

I grew up on Lake Erie during the weekends for the first 18 years of my life.
you couldn't go an hour without catching a bullhead!!!

Great memories........:supz:

Very nice looking plate!! We would eat bullheads occasionally when I was a kid, I would eat it but was not very fond of it as I recall.

Is that the same as a mudcat? Have ate a few if so. Depends on how clean is the water. If that aint it I take this back of course.

No, bullhead are smaller, and they a rovers. They tend to stick to the smaller streams and canals. Mud cat are pretty rare around here, but you can sometimes pull one out of the Missouri River, or the Platte, some of the bigger lakes. Bullhead are more like small bony channel cat. They are pretty distinct looking.

Last edited:
Notice a yellow belly and a square tail, rather than a split on on the cat fish. And a big overbite. Gut and cooler bullhead right away, they can chew through a stringer.

Wow sounds like them critters are kin to the Creature from the Black Lagoon or something. Chew through the stringer huh. Yall catch some wild and crazy fish up there. I convinced a yankee that a needle nose gar and a pike or musky was kissing cousins. By the time we got done we both became firm believers that is right. Could that be right by any chance?

They have some similar features. Wildlife encyclopedia says they are different species though. I dunno.

Well thanks for looking it up. I just love gar. They are shy friendly creatures which taste good. Refuse to dine on any food which is not alive and kicking. Person just has to admire their good qualities. Never messed with a Pike or Musky but those teeth sure look similar.

Don't think I'll pull any gar out of the ice this winter. But you've convinced me to clean one come spring. A good 6 footer might be worth trying to scrape some meat off hey?

Well the big old Mama's can be chewy. The smaller ones are best. No need to scrape meat. They have plenty. Just bust it out of the shell and start cutting steaks. Get rid of the black silver skin either to start with or as things progress. Prettiest white meat you ever seen..and not overly boney either.

Back
Top Bottom