Why Is This Happening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO made a batch of lemon poppyseed muffins this afternoon. They came out "lopsided".

105E39AD-10FD-4C19-A158-DCCB2DBAED73_1_105_c.jpg

C8142036-AB8C-4B08-8510-53BB0A61BC91_1_105_c.jpg

CF0DE699-079D-46E2-89FD-EB7E877520C6_1_105_c.jpg

Before you say a thing, I checked the oven shelf with a level and the shelf is perfectly level. These are large muffins, six to a pan.

Any thoughts?

What material is the pan made of? The outsides are pretty dark, which makes me think that they cooked quickly, causing the batter on the inside to rise more slowly and unevenly, so the raw batter on top flowed randomly to the side.

This has good information on how different materials affect muffin batter.
https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-choose-the-best-muffin-pans-and-liners

They are Wilton non-stick coated steel. The color is fairly light but not as light as plain aluminum.

It could be two of those suggestions, colour of pan, overmixing, and also what did the recipe suggest as to how many the recipe actually makes?

Quantity could affect the baking, as to a recipe I had that told me to lower the temp for a different sized pan and bake longer. Or the other way around, can't remember which it was.

I'm a strong fan voting for the overmixing tho.

Andy,

Might you have uneven heating in your oven? Maybe the burner got something in it that is snuffing down part of it, or the element is failing and partly dead?

Something else to check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom