Why is dark chocolate often not dairy free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Different companies make it and follow their own recipes. No doubt that info is on the label.

Pure chocolate is too bitter for most people. Dark chocolate is less bitter, and comes in various percentages of cocao, combined with dairy, and sugar. Dairy is inexpensive, and dilutes the bitter cocoa nibs, and adds a creamy texture to the end product. Cocoa butter, cocoa nibs, sugar, and dried milk are combined to produce chocolate.

If you were to place a tsp. of cocoa powder in your mouth, that's the flavor of pure chocolate.

There are dairy, sugar, and nut free chocolate confectios that can be found. It takes a bit of internet searching to find them.

Like Andy said, different companies have their own recipes for their product. The cocoa beans bary in flavor, depending on growing conditions, climate, soil composition, how long the neans are fermented, and roasted, and what ingredients are added.

Coverture chocolate is made using pure cocoa butter as the only fat. When tempered, it produces a crisp snap, and melts smoothly in your mouth, with no grainy, or waxy texture.

Hope that helps answer your question.

so dried milk will make it less bitter?

i was just curious to know why they don't mix it with sugar but without dairy

maybe it is really the cheaper price of the milk powder

i only buy tony's chocolate but heard that even tony's may exploit people very badly

A great. award winning chocolate certified nut free, comes from a small maker in Florida. I purchase it for a family that suffers from nut allergies. Beyond being nut free, the products are amazing. I'm not affiliated with them, just really like the chocolate they make.

Site link: https://www.castronovochocolate.com/

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Typically, bittersweet chocolate has no sugar or dairy in it. There are other grades of dark chocolate that will contain different amounts of sugar to accommodate different tastes. Dairy if dark chocolate is an option. It isn't used or excluded universally.

It has to do with buying from socially responsible companies, jenny. Cocoa prices are impacted greatly by buyers. The farmers make pittance, the buyers buy product low and sell high. Then the retailer has to sell even higher to make a profit. That's one reason I buy our coffee from Dean's Beans. Dean Cycon works with his farmer families, provides money and sweat support to their villages, and charges less than $12 a pound for their coffee while still making a profit. The other reason is that they sell a danged tasty coffee product.

It can depend on the percentage of cacao. I occasionally buy dark chocolate from Theobroma Chocolat, a Quebec company that also sells through some Costcos in the US. There is no dairy in their 60% cacao and higher. But, they don't guarantee that there aren't traces of milk. It's not cheap, but all their chocolate is Fair Trade and organic. Theobroma Chocolat

With some brands of chocolate, I have seen milk in the lower cacao percentage bars and none in the higher percentage cacao bars.

so dried milk will make it less bitter?

i was just curious to know why they don't mix it with sugar but without dairy

maybe it is really the cheaper price of the milk powder

i only buy tony's chocolate but heard that even tony's may exploit people very badly
you can get dairy free "bittersweet" chocolate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom