White Box Mix to Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I have a box mix of white cake (Betty Crocker). I would like to make it into a chocolate cake.

I'm guessing Cocoa Powder would do the trick, but would I need extra sugar or extra butter (or oil)?

Approx. how much of each should I use. Cake mix is for your standard 2 pan size.

LOL... that was quick!

Thanks Scott. Trying it this morning after chores.
Need to practice a cake for Grandson's B'day. Chocolate cake with a dinosaur.

The crumbs are gonna fly! (hopefully)

Toothless wrapped around an Egg, guarding it from dinosaurs. Egg, melting kind with a surprise inside. Dinosaurs and egg from the $$tore. Toothless I'll make from cake, build up a nest of some sort? hmmm

In the end it will probably be completely different from what I plan... LOL

LOL... that was quick!

Thanks Scott. Trying it this morning after chores.
Need to practice a cake for Grandson's B'day. Chocolate cake with a dinosaur.

The crumbs are gonna fly! (hopefully)

Toothless wrapped around an Egg, guarding it from dinosaurs. Egg, melting kind with a surprise inside. Dinosaurs and egg from the $$tore. Toothless I'll make from cake, build up a nest of some sort? hmmm

In the end it will probably be completely different from what I plan... LOL

Scott was on the ball..

This sounds fun.. Don't forget the pics and how changing to chocolate cake worked out for you.. :)

Ross

That looks supe easy. I would caution though, use dutched cocoa powder rather than regular, as the dutching process uses an alkali to remove fat from the cocoa powder, and also neutralize the natural acids ikn cocoa powder. If you use plain cocoa, the acids might change the leavening action and give you a dense cake. Also, I have found with boxed cake mixes, adding just one extra tbs. of cooking oil greatly improves the texture of the cake, making it more moist.

Another, super easy, and super tasty chocolate cake is this - https://www.hellmanns.com/us/en/recipes/chocolate-mayonnaise-cake.html

Just in case you want to try it, here's my tried and true recipe for the same:

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
This is a rich, chocolaty cake that is simple to make and stores well staying moist. This
has long been my favorite recipe and while growing up I always requested it for a
birthday cake. My Mother always led me to believe that it was a very complicated
and complex cake to make whenever I asked for it, I suppose to make me think it
was something special. It wasn't until i moved out and asked for the recipe that I
learned how simple it really was. Clever lady my Mother. :) Makes 9 X 16 cake or 2
-9X9 cakes

Sift together:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons dark cocoa

Blend together and add to above
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup water

1. Blend the two sets of ingredients together whisking well until a smooth batter is created.

2. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 X 16 or 9 X 18 baking pan.

3. Slightly jiggle pan to smooth out batter and to help release any large air bubbles that may be trapped in the batter.

4. Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

5. Let the cake cool and remove to a foil covered square of cardboard. Spread with either a great chocolate butter cream, or strawberry buttercream frosting. For an extra treat, and easy frosting, combine equal amounts of pre-made chocolate frosting, whatever brand you prefer, and Nutella chocolate spread. I did this and the people loved the frosting so much, that they brolke out the bowl of left-over frosting, and devoured it with graham crackers:LOL:

No matter what cake you make, I hope it comes out spectacular.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

new questions

Thanks Chief I appreciate the recipe but... truth to tell? I never make cakes from scratch... the few times I have, not even the chickens will eat it. I can bake just about anything else with some success but cakes... not my thing.

Of course, the cake design has undergone many changes and now time is a crunch, so design is getting much more simpler. My brain just was not co-operating. So now my question is about Mirror Glaze.

1.Can I make the glaze ahead of time (like a day), reheat when ready to coat?
2. When coated, does cake need to be refrigerated? Is it good on the counter for a day... or even two?

Our weather is starting to get cool so the kitchen wouldn't be horrid hot. Fridge space is at a minimum - certainly won't hold a decorated cake.

Disasters to Success

Well, if anything could go wrong it probably did with this cake. But the boys loved it and so all is/was good.
Greatest compliment was when my son text me that on their way home the birthday boy said "Gramma is a good baker." and promptly fell asleep.

So here is the Menu

Attachments

• image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 86
The eyeballs - well the kids don't care for deviled eggs in the first place but thought they looked great. Adults enjoyed them - even though it was one of the minor disasters - accidentally added too much mayo, barely held their shapes. I also tried to fashion their pupil with sliced olives as they were all I had. Memo to self, shape from whole olives... if there is ever a next time...

Attachments

• image000000(7).jpg
    image000000(7).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200912_220157.jpg
    20200912_220157.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 82
Dinasaur Poop - another little disaster - gotta love kids - they loved them anyhow. After their first attempt to pick them up, just sucked them off the paper. :LOL:

Miniature marshmallows with green candy melts... my candy melts were from last year's gingerbread weekend - and I guess they have an age limit. They tasted great but would not melt. So I used some of the mirror glaze icing, duh.. never got hard :blush: stuck to the wax paper - fingers - everything! Thank goodness no bugs around!

Attachments

• 20200912_122745.jpg
    20200912_122745.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 84
Then the cake - I won't even go into what went wrong but mirror glaze takes practice! :LOL: :rolleyes:

I had also wanted to do a shaped cake of 'Toothless' in fondant but it just didn't come together. So in the end it was a Volcano Mountain Nest with chocolate and red mirror glaze. I'm afraid the pictures didn't come out very good - but as I said the kids loved it.

It was tasty and fun. They didn't get the reference to 'Yellow Snow' at first - bunch of giggles when it sunk in! At least the home made Mango Ice Cream came out as intended! So I got 1 out of 4 right, ain't too bad I guess. :ROFLMAO:

Thank goodness my son did the cooking of the cheeseburgers!

Attachments

• 20200912_190026 (2).jpg
    20200912_190026 (2).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200912_190041 (2).jpg
    20200912_190041 (2).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom