Which Brand/Model Of Sous-Vide Device Do You Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what model it is. When I got it, they only had one model - it was the one with Bluetooth, but before they had Wi-Fi. My moving truck comes Monday, so my kitchen is packed. I probably won't find it until next week sometime.

Containers - like the rest if us, you already have a wide assortment of cooking vessels. Any one of them will do. Just grab one big enough for the item you're cooking. The pot doesn't get hot enough to damage your surfaces, so just fill it with water and set it on the counter.

Lids - the only purpose of the lid is to reduce evaporation. For smaller items like steaks and chops, it won't run long enough for that to be a problem. I never bother with a lid for anything under 2 or 3 hours. For things that will cook overnight, any lid will do. Saran wrap is fine. I've seen ping pong balls floated on the surface. All you're trying to do is make sure that the water level doesn't drop too far.

Meat doneness - different approaches all work. Cook the more well done steak first, then remove it. Drop the temperature and cook the second steak. During the last 30 minutes or so, put the first steak back in to warm it. Then sear both. Or, just sear one longer than the other.

I was kinda thinkin' that too Silversage.
If I've got say, 2 1/4 pound Steaks in a 12 quart water bath for say 1-2 hours, wouldn't everything be okey-dokey?

shrug.png

Again, I dunno.

Thoughts Guys?

I was kinda thinkin' that too Silversage.
If I've got say, 2 1/4 pound Steaks in a 12 quart water bath for say 1-2 hours, wouldn't everything be okey-dokey?

View attachment 43089

Again, I dunno.

Thoughts Guys?

This would result in two steaks cooked to exactly the same level of doneness. Leaving mat in the water longer won't cook it to more doneness, it will keep it at the same temp.

This would result in two steaks cooked to exactly the same level of doneness. Leaving mat in the water longer won't cook it to more doneness, it will keep it at the same temp.

Right, I think I'd try both Steaks cooked to Mid-Rare and then just sear DH's share longer than mine to get it closer to Medium for his taste.

As to having to cover the Pot so as not to lose too much water to evaporation, I meant say I don't think that that would play too much into the Proteins staying submerged long enough, say the 1-2 hours.

What do you think of the cover/no cover idea?

...What do you think of the cover/no cover idea?

I cover the pot every time with a sheet of foil crimped around the circulator and pot rim. If it doesn't make much of a difference in evaporation, I feel it does make a difference in heat retention. It's no different that putting a lid on a pot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom