What's your weather like right now? 2023 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We might get to 40° today - a little over 10° above average! And the wind is wicked - over 20 mph sustained, and 30 to 40 mph gusts! At noon they were saying that the wind chill was 28°. I'm glad I didn't put my trash cans out last night - I just put a bag out at the curb, and weighted my cans down, so I don't have to set foot out there!

I hope not many of you are buried by that storm!

"Winter Storm Warning!" they said. "Make preparations now!" they said. So I did.
20230314_171717.jpg

Our snow accumulation since at least 9:00 AM.
20230314_170753.jpg

The snow is now coming down faster and heavier, but temperatures are still (barely) above freezing. They closed schools today. I wonder if they will really need to close them tomorrow

The northern and western parts of the state have been dumped on - Rowe, in the northwest, measured 32" of the white stuff by 4 PM today.

We can only choose one of the 5 emotions to a post. LOL I would certainly also choose the 'WOW'

CG - are those storm doors to your cellar? WOW again!

Yes, @dragnlaw, that is called a bulkhead. We heat our house with heating oil, and the 285 gallon tank is in the basement. For safety reasons, there needs to be a second egress from the basement in case you need to get out and the steps to the first floor are not available. Unless we have more than an inch or two of snow, they are the quickest route to the bird feeders. The seed is in old cat litter buckets in the basement.

CG, one day, while doing the laundry in the basement, I froze hearing this horrendous sound, I cannot begin to describe, hollow echoey thunder, my eyes wide as I looked around.

It was the oil tank in the corner, being filled from outside.

CG, one day, while doing the laundry in the basement, I froze hearing this horrendous sound, I cannot begin to describe, hollow echoey thunder, my eyes wide as I looked around.

It was the oil tank in the corner, being filled from outside.

Been there, done that. :LOL:
This makes me wonder what it would have been like if, instead of an oil tank being filled, it had been a coal room / coal bin being filled. :shock:

Well, I surmise a lot of noise, but there would have been no hollow echoing gurgle as loosening the kraken would have made. Pretty sure there would have been no surprise as I think the coal man would knock on the kitchen door to make sure the maid or mistress closed the coal hatch\door in the basement. Can you imagine the dust floating thru otherwise?

Seven hours later and the "storm" is nearly done. Pffttt...
20230315_003949.jpg
Some predictions said that we could get as much as 10 to 12 inches of snow. I think it was mistyped and should have been 1.0 to 1.2 inches. ;)

A foot of heavy snow here and up to two feet in the surrounding area.

The city schools are closed for a second day. People are digging out and traffic is moving. It’s turning into a typical bright, sunny, drippy, slushy, winter morning.

I would like to go to the local Wegman’s for a package of chicken. I’m curious about the high heat cast iron method and would like to try it with a slightly different rub.

Right now, it's sunny and 32F outside. With the north wind, it feels like 23 brrr. We're supposed to get a high of 51. Can't wait till tomorrow - 60, sunny and no wind.

I'm getting the hang of spring cleaning around winter. I wonder how much oxygen is left in this house. I'm looking forward to when the govt can talk about climate change and it's actually warm.

I'm getting the hang of spring cleaning around winter. I wonder how much oxygen is left in this house. I'm looking forward to when the govt can talk about climate change and it's actually warm.
Curious what you mean about the oxygen in your house. If there wasn't enough, you'd be dead.

Climate change doesn't necessarily mean that the weather near you is going to be warmer. You can read about the Effects of Climate Change here.

We had a thunderstorm last night, with high winds. The wind blew over a wood table with a ceramic tile top that was on the patio. Now it's in our workshop waiting for a new tile.
It has stopped raining now, but the wind is still blowing like crazy, and it's darned cold at 42 degrees. That is cold for us!

It's a balmy (for us) 42 f outside, except it is raining the expected rain and is bone chilling. Good day to stay inside - and make WonTons! :D

It got up to 60° yesterday; still a little breezy, compared to the earlier part of the week, but I got some things done outside, and I'll do more today, since it is supposed to get warmer. However, by Sunday - the last full day of winter - 43° is the forecast high! This weekend I'll get some seeds planted indoors - cold weather crops, and the early chinense peppers.

Anyone else have spring fever?
It's going to be close to the 70's here today. No rain for at least a few days. Which is good. Gives us time to dry out. Catch up on a few out door things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom