What's your weather like right now? 2023 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another day of bitter cold and blowing snow.

Tomorrow afternoon we are supposed to be back in the 40s.

The bitter cold and lack of snow cover is causing concerns about possible water main breaks.

Parts of the original water system, still in use, date to the 1840s.

Pretty much the same here. I looked at the extended forecast, and after the next few days, doesnt look like its going to get below freezing ( even at night) for the foreseeable future. This worries me a bit, as I want to tap the few maple trees I have on my property, and from what I understand , the temps need to fluctuate above too below freezing for the sap to flow. Hope I didn't miss my opportunity. I did it last year, but so many bugs got into the collected sap, I tossed it all. I could have strained them out, but just knowing what it looked like messed with my mind. a few bugs wouldn't have been a ig deal, but this was just plain old gross. I got a new system which should alleviate that problem. Still going to tap then next week and hope for the best.
Isn't it awfully early to be tapping maple trees? Or is it that different where you live from Quebec? I never heard of tapping maple trees before spring. But, yes, it's supposed to best in a period of time when it goes below 0°C at night and above in the day time.

Isn't it awfully early to be tapping maple trees? Or is it that different where you live from Quebec? I never heard of tapping maple trees before spring. But, yes, it's supposed to best in a period of time when it goes below 0°C at night and above in the day time.
Around here it's usually February. Thats when we get that day / night temp fluctuation above and below freezing, although assuming the 10 day forecast is wrong ( which it often is), only one day (over the next 10 days) will do that. And it's not like the other days are borderline. Their lowest will still be 7 - 8 degrees higher than freezing.

To dang cold. My heater hasn't gone off since last evening.

2-4-2023.jpg

Still frozen here with -20°C, a little below 0°F. But, the temperature is just going up from here until sometime tomorrow when it should reach a high of 1°C, ~34°F.

I needed a winter coat a few days back. Then was without a coat or jacket a couple days after that. We got mid-Atlantic flurries, which are not the same as Mid-West flurries. Mid-West flurries mean anything under 4 inches of snow. Mid-Atlantic flurries mean snow dusts your windshield and your wipers swoosh it all away in one swipe. :LOL:

Warm enough for me to sit outside on my patio , without a jacket, planning next years garden ( while looking at it). I was going to sit inside and do it at my desk, but it was too nice out. I may even do a little early spring cleaning (of the yard) on Wednesday. It's supposed to be about 60. May even get out on my bike too!

If it wasn't 60° here today, it was close to it! And the sun was out, with little wind, so it was nice out there, and I got a lot done! Supposed to be raining tomorrow, on and off, and up to 60° again Friday.

Wasn't as nice as I thought it would be ( look 50's and a little wet from a little rain from the night before), but I was still able too get outside and do a little " Spring cleaning and organizing).

Do you have a garden? It usually needs some cleaning, aka weeding and cleaning up debris, in the spring.
Exactly what I was doing out there! And it really felt like spring outside today. I actually turned my water on outside for the first time this year, though I did shut it off, and drain those pipes again, as I'm sure it's going to freeze again sometime in February!

Yeah, Organized and restacked my pots ( that got either blow over, or to another area of the yard the past few months). through out the ones I didnt need or were damaged. Pruned some fruit trees. Collected, fixed and putt up some birdhouses that needed fixing or securing. Also made some mental notes of what else needs to be done. Figured I should take advantage of the opportunity to get a head start .

Do you have a garden? It usually needs some cleaning, aka weeding and cleaning up debris, in the spring.
When I put the outside up for winter it's done. I see some trash has blown in from the recent storm and it's not enough to put on the gloves.

Back
Top Bottom