What's your favorite recipe, modifed to make it yor own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My mst well known is my pancake recipe. My favorìte would have to be my salasa or is it my chilie, or maybe my laagna, or maybe it'ts my brined, and smoked smelt, or maybe, or maybe .. LOL.

What is your best, alteted recipe?

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Not sure about my favorite, but one of he first recipes I tinkered with was a vegetable soup recipe. I was a teenager, at the time, and my mom used to do the thing where she would collect he proofs of purchase of a product, and then send away for the recipe book. Anyway, she did this with Del Monte canned vegetables. They sent her a small pamphlet with a dozen or so recipes, one being a veggie soup ( obviously using all Del Monte products). Not having all their products on hand, along with my dad's garden being in full gear, I had to improvise. I still make he soup today, and now it is pretty much a set recipe, bu when I look back at the original recipe in the pamphlet ( which I still have), its amazing how different it is from the original. two totally different recipes. The changes happened over years of making it and eventually stabled out into a specific recipe.

My spinach pie recipe is pretty different from other recipes. I asked an Armenian boyfriend for his mom’s recipe. I took out what I didn’t have or like, added other ingredients I had on-hand and liked. Plus I changed from her tri-corn yeast dough shape to filo leaves and made them small.

I couldn't narrow favorites down to one, by any means, but there are always some dishes at this time of year, when I start harvesting certain foods from the garden. A favorite Szechwan eggplant recipe I have been making since I have been making since the early 80s, that I tweak only slightly, it was so good! Changed the type of ground meat, sometimes, often served it on pasta, instead of rice, but the seasonings are left the same, it was so good! That was the first dish I made, when eggplants were coming in.

Tomatoes are next, with 3 different dishes I always make, countless times, in various ways. First, I might make today - the lentil salad, using a bunch of those cherry tomatoes, the garlic chives, and habanero peppers (frozen for this batch - to early for now), from the garden. Next, when I have 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of tomatoes, dice them with fresh garlic, a lot of basil, and olive oil, and the hot pasta is stirred in to slightly cook them, but that's all. Also good cold, as my favorite pasta salad. I slightly change it sometimes, with chopped kalamata olives, sometimes some green olives, maybe some capers, and some anchovies, depending on who will be helping me eat it!

The last thing with the tomatoes, when I get at least 3 lbs of them, is gazpacho, something I have been eating since I went to Spain, when I was 7 years old! This is something I can actually make in the off-season, with frozen tomatoes - the cucumbers and peppers I can buy, but the tomatoes from stores are never the same.

Next, when I have 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of tomatoes, dice them with fresh garlic, a lot of basil, and olive oil, and the hot pasta is stirred in to slightly cook them, but that's all. Also good cold, as my favorite pasta salad.

We eat this cold, and look forward to it each year when the tomatoes are ready. First had it after I graduated undergrad, one of my professors invited her students to her summer house out in Montauk. She had aa few of her friends there too. One from Germany made this dish ( fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil. Olive oil and garlic slightly heated to tone down the garlic and infuse the oil with garlic flavor, then all mixed up ( she used linguini). Eat the end she tossed in cubed mozzarella. My wife being vegan now, we omit the cheese, but to me, this dish says summer. We only have it during tomato season ( summer). gives us something to look forward to each year. Probably 2 - 3 weeks away from having it ( basil and garlic ready just waiting for the tomatoes )...

We eat this cold, and look forward to it each year when the tomatoes are ready. First had it after I graduated undergrad, one of my professors invited her students to her summer house out in Montauk. She had aa few of her friends there too. One from Germany made this dish ( fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil. Olive oil and garlic slightly heated to tone down the garlic and infuse the oil with garlic flavor, then all mixed up ( she used linguini). Eat the end she tossed in cubed mozzarella. My wife being vegan now, we omit the cheese, but to me, this dish says summer. We only have it during tomato season ( summer). gives us something to look forward to each year. Probably 2 - 3 weeks away from having it ( basil and garlic ready just waiting for the tomatoes )...

I've had a similar dish cold, with bread, a white bread with thick crust like an italian loaf cut in cubes.
Like this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-panzanella-salad-recipe

I'm genetically incapable (ha ha) of following a recipe exactly as written. If we don't like an ingredient we don't add it to ruin the flavor.

My favorite recipe lately is that Greek Lemon Spinach Lentil Soup, and we omit the coriander. I made some tonight, substituted broccoli stems and sweet potato for the squash, substituted turnip greens for the spinach. I omit oil. It's OH SO delicious.

Back
Top Bottom