What's Your Favorite Fresh Salmon Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have started buying some cold smoked, wild caught, Pacific sockeye. Yes, that is delicious salmon.

I could buy some land based farmed salmon that is cold smoked, but I would have to taste some first. Closed system, land based fish farming is prone to having geosmin in the water. Geosmin is the chemical responsible for the "earthy" scent of petrichor (the smell of a light rain on soil) and the earthy taste of beets. I do not want it in fish. I read that it is the reason that some people don't like freshwater fish. Well, I'm one of the people who don't like freshwater fish, even though I haven't noticed geosmin in it. If I ever try some freshwater fish again, I will try to notice if I can detect it.

Interesting about the geosmin in fish, and how it affects the taste. It's occurred to me that I don't think I've ever had freshwater fish, except steelhead, a couple of times.

Is steelhead considered a freshwater fish here on the west coast? I think it also spends part of its life in the ocean, too?

Interesting about the geosmin in fish, and how it affects the taste. It's occurred to me that I don't think I've ever had freshwater fish, except steelhead, a couple of times.

Is steelhead considered a freshwater fish here on the west coast? I think it also spends part of its life in the ocean, too?

Good question. Salmon spend some time in freshwater and some time in the ocean. I cannot stand the taste of cooked salmon, but I love it cold smoked or gravad.

See on google "Yogurt and Spice Roasted Salmon" recipes. All of them are more or less the same regarding ingredients and taste.

It is quite simple. Just heat oven to 375°F. Place a large piece of foil on rimmed baking sheet, place salmon fillet on top (skin side down, pink side up). Crimp edges of foil around salmon to make a little "boat".

Then season: Combine melted butter and minced garlic. Brush half of mixture over salmon. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, evenly sprinkle over salmon. Drizzle with remaining garlic butter.

And finally bake: Bake salmon for 15-22 minutes, depending on preferred doneness (see notes for internal temperatures). Baste salmon with juices halfway through baking, if desired. Once done, remove salmon from oven and rest for 5 minutes, then serve.

Back
Top Bottom