What's your best Oven Roasted Baby Back Ribs recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
The following rub is what I've used to grill spare ribs for years. It's siple, and tastes great.
Ingredients:
2 racks pork spare ribs
3 tbs. salt
4 tbs. mild chili powder
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbs. granulated garlic powder
2 tbs. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. rubbed sage

I'm going to be cooking the ribs in the oven for tonight's meal, and am curious what other people love in their rubs, wet, or dry. I have grandkids who aren't fond of pepper. I have to keep that in mind.

Also, I was planning to roast the ribs, with the coating, uncovered, to develop bark, then cover and cook in a slow oven to make them tender. I'm thinking an hour at 425' F., cover, and 3 hours at 275' F.

My ribs on the Webber Kettle get rave reviews, as they are smoked with apple, maple, and birch wood picked up from the forest floor, and sometimes tag alder (wonderful flavor).

So, what's your favorite way to make ribs?

This is an Alton Brown recipe I modified to my liking. SO likes it better than smoked ribs.

BABY BACK RIBS
(OVEN METHOD)

For the Ribs:
1 Ea Slab Baby Back Ribs
TT Dry Rub
TT Barbecue Sauce

For the Braising Liquid:
½ C White Wine
1 Tb White Wine Vinegar
1 Tb Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Liquid Smoke
½ Tb Honey
1 Cl Garlic, chopped

Place the slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Rub the dry rub into the meat. Tightly wrap the slab in the foil such that the seams are all near the top of the packet. Refrigerate the ribs for at least 1 hour, overnight is preferred.

Preheat the oven to 250°F.

Combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a sheet pan in the foil envelope. Open one end of the foil and pour the braising liquid into the packet. Tilt the sheet pan to distribute the braising liquid. Reseal the foil packet.

Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 hours.

Remove the ribs from the oven, open the foil and drain off the braising liquid.

Brush the barbecue sauce onto the ribs. Broil with the foil completely open just until the glaze caramelizes lightly.

Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions.

I have a few rubs I like to use. I think my most used is Mryon Mixon's "The Only BBQ Rub You'll Ever Need" or his "The Only Other BBQ Rub". The 2nd doesn't have pepper.

That said, I highly recommend Sous Vide for ribs!! I follow a recipe (link below), for method only. I use my own rub and I usually make a couple of sauces (one white & one Carolina style) and I like 155 degrees better than 152. Of course, one has to plan ahead as they need to cook in the Sous Vide for 24 hours and then finish on the grill or in the oven.

See this link: https://fitfoodiefinds.com/24-hour-sous-vide-ribs/print/95149/

Here is a very quick and easy recipe.

Easiest Barbecue Ribs

6 whole heads of garlic
6 lbs. whole slabs babyback pork ribs, at room temperature
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cayenne pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Place 3 heads of garlic on each of 2 large baking sheets and roast for 25 minutes. Season the ribs all over with salt, pepper and cayenne. Place the ribs meaty side up, on the baking sheets with the garlic and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning them every 25 minutes. The ribs are done when they're nicely browned and the garlic is very soft. Remove the ribs and garlic to a cutting board.
2. Slice the root ends off the garlic heads and squeeze out the roasted garlic; spread in a thin layer all over the ribs. Season with salt. Cut the ribs apart, pile them on a platter and serve. Makes 4 servings.

Last edited:
So far, we have only had this recipe once. (so many rib recipes to try. lol) but we both enjoyed it very much. It was something different for us. Hope you will enjoy it also.

Blueberry BBQ Ribs

3 pints blueberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
1 habanero pepper
1 dark beer
1 TB. ground coriander
1 TB. ground cumin
1 TB. ground coffee
1 TB. chipotle powder
5 Lbs. smoked and cooked St. Louis cut pork ribs

Add all the ingredients for the sauce into a saucepan and cook for 2 hours over medium-low heat. Remove the sauce from the heat and place into a food processor or blender and puree. Strain the sauce and set aside.

Preheat grill over medium-high heat.

Place the ribs onto the grill and brush with the sauce. This will glaze the ribs while they cook for about 15 minutes.

I'm sure you can do this in the oven also.

Source: Michael Symon 2008

Last edited:
Baby back ribs

For the ribs:
1 rack baby backs
1 onion, sliced
1-2 lemons, sliced
Yellow mustard
Salt pepper garlic powder
Aluminum foil.

BBQ Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup water
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon bottled Tiger Sauce
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard or 1 Tbsp yellow ballpark mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Salt pepper and garlic powder to taste

Line a shallow roasting pan with foil. On the bottom of the pan place onion slices and then the lemon slces. Lightly slather ribs with mustard and liberally shake on salt perpper and garlic powder on both sides of ribs.

Place ribs bone side down. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.

With tongs remove ribs from pan and pour off accumulated juices. Re-arrange the onion/lemon if necessary.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally; remove from the heat.

Drain fat from roasting pan. Spoon some of the sauce over ribs. Bake 45-60 minutes longer or until ribs are tender. Baste with thin layers of more sauce to glaze the last 45-60 minutes, Cut into serving pieces and pass more sauce at the table.

Back
Top Bottom