What's hiding behind the stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
It is off topic, but since it is kitchen related it is not really that Off topic.
I had to move my stove out today. Oh my. I found a fork, a lead for a jar and a lid for ziplock container. And I am not even talking about abondance of grime, dirt, dust, and G-d knows what else.

I am wondering, how often do you, if ever pull out your stove to clean behind? What can be done to prevent all this dirt building up behind the stove?

I am wondering, how often do you, if ever pull out your stove to clean behind? What can be done to prevent all this dirt building up behind the stove?
1. NEVVAAAAAAAAHHHHH (or when replacing stove or painting or wallpapering)
2. Never cook, or nothing.

Last time I did, I was looking for the razor scrapers I use to clean my ceramic stovetop. Cleaning lady had knocked them off behind the stove and didn't bother to retrieve them. After I pulled the stove out and got the scrapers I can understand why. Yuck!

My new stove was just installed in March, so it's pretty clean at the moment. But I had to give it a good going over at that time with a healthy dose of pine-sol.

I moved my stove in 2008 when we had thee kitchen remodeled. That was the first time in 8 years it was moved. The next time it's moved it will be by whomever buys my condo whenever my family or I sell it.

Nothing behind the new stove, but I could make a list out of what's behind the fridge.

At least a fridge is usually on wheels, PF. There is hope in that!

The last thorough cleaning under/behind the range was when we had the new one delivered - so about 8-10 years ago. Since my range is electric, I have a bottom drawer for pot lids, cookie sheets, etc. I pull the drawer out about once a year so that I can run the vacuum cleaner underneath to get the lion's share of gunk. My bigger fear is what has run down between the side of the stove and the cabinet either side...

...Cleaning lady had knocked them off behind the stove and didn't bother to retrieve them...
Pffttt, some "cleaning" lady. :rolleyes: I use razor blades, but they are in one of those metal contraptions you use to clean paint off of the glass when you paint a window frame. Pretty obsolete for its original use, but handy for glass-tops

Pffttt, some "cleaning" lady. :rolleyes: I use razor blades, but they are in one of those metal contraptions you use to clean paint off of the glass when you paint a window frame. Pretty obsolete for its original use, but handy for glass-tops

That's what I use! The first one um, disappeared, so I grabbed another from our paint supply. It disappeared too. I even velcroed them to the stove, so my CL must have been using a lot of elbow grease to dislodge them.

My stove is pretty new so no worries there. When I had pets though, the stove and fridge were pulled out on a regular basis. The thought of wads of animal hair under appliances just grossed me out.

Wasn't there a line in the song "Thunder Road" about a place where angels fear to tread?:ohmy:

I thought I was always behind because I only pull out my stove and fridge twice a year but, reading this thread, I think I should reward myself with cake.. and pudding... and pie...yes, pie... :LOL:

BTW... There is seldom anything but a dust bunny or two behind them...

Ross

No stove here. We have a built-in cooktop and a wall oven, so there's nothing to move and no cracks for things to fall into.

Same here, but, I bought a new filter for the fridge about this time last year. Still in the box.

On a related topic...

I borrowed a professional leaf blower from a friend who owns a landscaping company. 300-plus MPH. Seemed like a good way to blow out my dryer vent.

I wrapped a towel around the nozzle, jammed it in the inside tube, and let it rip.

What came out the other end was amazing. Shot it into my neighbor's yard. Lint, bird's nest, stuff I left in pants pockets. Even the coins made it a good fifteen feet airborne.

My friend was watching from the outside, and had to run for cover.

Crude... but effective.

CD

Back
Top Bottom