What's for dinner, Thursday, June 8, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight is our last night at the beach. :cry: We had planned to go out for dinner. We would have gone to the place that does a Prime Rib special on Thursdays. I thought I would check the menu online...and discovered that they now want $17 to $24 PER GLASS of wine. They don't even list the Prime Rib special...and we just decided that BBQ Chicken Bombs, Twice Baked and a salad will do just fine. The "house" wine is already bought and paid for...the Twice Baked are frozen from home, salad is easy and I brought a couple of homemade dressings along...so the only "work" is the chicken bombs and they are easy enough. When we get home, I'll get some rib eyes from the local store...

We ordered from our favourite Greek resto. We shared a "bad boy mixed grill" and an appetizer of spanakopita. The mixed grill comes with grilled oregano chicken breast, two lamb chops, and pork souvlaki stick. There's also a salad (easily enough for two), roast potatoes, rice pilaf, and garlic bread. I enjoyed everything and thought the spanakopita was particularly good this time.

Made a Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, added extra red peppers, a couple of mushrooms, a jalapeno. Blue Dragon Sauce.
Looked good
Smelled good
Everything tasted good
but
Beef was tough as nails

and yes, they were quick stir fried, in batches and removed from pan while I did others - only added back in at end to reheat.

Made a Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, added extra red peppers, a couple of mushrooms, a jalapeno. Blue Dragon Sauce.
Looked good
Smelled good
Everything tasted good
but
Beef was tough as nails

and yes, they were quick stir fried, in batches and removed from pan while I did others - only added back in at end to reheat.
That's pretty much the way they do it here in the PNW! They should call it, Tough Beef with Broccoli!

Looked good
Smelled good
Everything tasted good
but
Beef was tough as nails

What cut of beef did you use?

I know - I know - but as a matter of fact I DON'T know what kind of beef. It was already cut up specifically for stir fry.
I looked at it for ages and said to myself "Self, don't buy it you just know it's going to be tough crap from other stuff!" and so then I bought it.

But I had bought the sauce quite a while ago and it was staring at me. For some reason I kept coming across all these recipes for Beef & Broccoli Sitr Fry... and the rest is history.

I usually make my own dough. This was a last minute thing so I picked up a ball of pizza dough at the market.

When I make it, I use this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough
I'll probably do what you did. Why not.
It would beat looking again in the garage for the remaining 2 boxes missing cookbooks. Can't see paying 12 bucks for a Digorno pizza that I can't stand. My new oven finally has arrived. :)

I'll probably do what you did. Why not.
It would beat looking again in the garage for the remaining 2 boxes missing cookbooks. Can't see paying 12 bucks for a Digorno pizza that I can't stand. My new oven finally has arrived. :)
There are a number of options for "crust" for pizza. And, the homemade can be frozen to keep! Naan, with less than a magic wand, can become pizza! As can other flat breads and Boboli. But, using a different crust can require the right mood, too?

I know - I know - but as a matter of fact I DON'T know what kind of beef. It was already cut up specifically for stir fry.
I looked at it for ages and said to myself "Self, don't buy it you just know it's going to be tough crap from other stuff!" and so then I bought it.

But I had bought the sauce quite a while ago and it was staring at me. For some reason I kept coming across all these recipes for Beef & Broccoli Sitr Fry... and the rest is history.
That was my experience with some "stir fry strips" too. If you haven't used them up, then try velveting them before frying them the next time.

Probably just as important...how do you cook your pizza, Andy? Oven on a stone, grill, pizza oven?
I have an artificial pizza stone in the oven. The natural stones kept breaking. This one is over 10 years old. I cook the pizza @ 550ºF as that's the highest temp my oven will go to. It's done in about 8 minutes.

P.S. I'm having leftover pizza for lunch right now and it's still delicious!

There are a number of options for "crust" for pizza. And, the homemade can be frozen to keep! Naan, with less than a magic wand, can become pizza! As can other flat breads and Boboli. But, using a different crust can require the right mood, too?
Mood? I'm usually sour ;)

Andy! Would you come clean my ovens?
In my experience, (think I've mentioned this before) No oven should be taken to 500 or more UNLESS scrupulously super duper clean!
You'll smoke yourself right out of the house!

taxy, used it all. But I velvet a lot, just never thought to do it with this. Granted it is usually pork or chicken so being tough isn't an issue. Never thought of velveting as a tenderizing step? I rarely cook beef for that very reason. I can do hamburger or roasts, pot roasts, ribs, ... but never, never any steak type cuts.

Andy! Would you come clean my ovens?
In my experience, (think I've mentioned this before) No oven should be taken to 500 or more UNLESS scrupulously super duper clean!
You'll smoke yourself right out of the house!
Sorry, I don't clean ovens. That's why I've been buying ovens that clean themselves for 50 years. And they tell me when they need cleaning by emitting an unpleasant odor. Pretty cool huh?

LOL, actually yes, so have I Andy. It's just that the few times I've actually wanted to use a high temp like that my oven has been so dirty so as to need double the time.
And we all know that the "time" I want is when about an hour before I want to serve.

I know, I know, you can't fix 'stupid'. :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom