What to do with too much Boston lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I got my weekly produce basket today. I had checked how much lettuce we have and ordered one, small curly lettuce. I'm trying to do the balancing act between having enough lettuce and having so much that some of it starts to go off.

Anyways, they sent me my curly lettuce. But, they also sent me three heads of Boston lettuce. They didn't charge me for it. I already have Boston lettuce, and half a head of "red crisp lettuce", and there may be more lettuce in the fridge. There's only two of us. We'll have loads of lettuce left in a week, even if we have salad every day. We don't eat many sandwiches.

Help! Any suggestions?

The Vietnamese have a lot of delicious lettuce wraps. And the Chinese have a lot of recipes in which lettuce is used as a cooked vegetable - a way to use up a lot at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I really like the idea of using lettuce in stir fries or soup. I wouldn't have thought of those ideas, but that was why I asked here. I figured there would be some interesting, unusual (to me) ideas for using lettuce.

I'm cooking a lettuce soup. The best is green ice lettuce but Boston lettuce would do as well. It's made of sour milk so the final taste is somewhat sour too, so it's not for everyone, but I love it :)

If you decide to try it here is a list of ingredients:

1 big green ice lettuce (or Boston)
2l (8 cups) soured milk or buttermilk
200g (7oz) bacon
200 ml (1 cup) milk
200 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
4 tbsp flour
salt & pepper to taste

The lettuce has to remain somewhat crunchy so add it at the end and don't cook for more than a few minutes. To make the soup less sour, replace half of the soured milk with regular milk.

Let me know if you try to make it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
my grandpa would mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. Then dip his leaf lettuce in it, give a little shake then sprinkle with a little sugar and roll it up. I could eat those all day long!!

Back
Top Bottom