What to add to Ramen noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about doing a stir-fry and adding the cooked noodles to it. Or, I've heard of folks using ramen noodles to make Carbonara. Or make a salad of cucumbers, bell peppers, onion, etc., drizzle with a vinaigrette and toss with the cooked ramen.

Many times I have tossed the ramen flavor packet aside, cooked the noodles, and incorporated them in a totally different recipe. You can always use the flavor packet to make tasty refried beans or salsa.

I toss the flavor packet and make my own ramen bowl with made ahead/frozen broth and add a protein like pork belly or char Sui pork or chicken, or shrimp, various veges like mushrooms, green onions, baby bok choy, roasted red bell pepper strips, spinach, basically whatever vege is handy, sometimes a boiled egg, jelly like yolk for me.

I always forget to buy plain ramen noodles when we go to the Asian market, so I end up buying the packets in the regular grocery.

A Ramen bowl is actually on our menu for next week because I made a pork belly for bao buns a couple of days ago and cooked it in a court bouillon so I now have a wonderfully flavored broth with what was left after I scraped the cure off the belly before cookkng.

Last edited:
For plain noodles, you can cook them in any protein broth, pork, sliced celery, chicken, turkey, lamb, fish, etc. I like to add thin sliced carrot, diced onion, garlic, and a suitable protein, anything from the char Sui as mentioned above, to scallops, shrimp, pork, beef, poultry, etc. You can also make a good stir-fry, and add the ramen noodles into it. Ramen noodles also go well with Italian tomato based sauces, and ground beef, with cheese of course. I've even had chili flavored ramen, complete with beans.

Ramen noodles are a blank canvas, just waiting to become your latest creation.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ramen noodles as in instant noodles?
Those little packs that come with a small pack of very artificial flavourings?

Ramen noodles as in instant noodles?
Those little packs that come with a small pack of very artificial flavourings?

Yup.

You can also buy Ramen bowls, which come with a seasoning packet and dehydrated vegetables.

My favorite thing to add to Ramen is peas and/or shrimp.

Thanks

I'll use them in stir fries and noodle soups.
Or with just a little thai curry paste (or sambal) stirred in.
I had a brand called "indo" once and it came with little sachets of kecap, sambal & oil (each packed seperate). Never seen it since, but that worked for me. Much better than that standard salty powder stuff.

Anyway, they are easy, boil some water, throw them in the pot, put lid on, turn heat off and use when your base is ready.

I was, for some peculiar reason, never a fan of ramen noodles. Now I use them all the time. Either as is, throw in some spinach, or bok choy, sometimes with leftover vegetables, chopped meats. Couple of days ago, when I added the noodles to the boiling water I also added the powder immediately. Drained when cooked, plated and added my leftover garlic shrimp. Was delish!

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/miso-soup-with-napa-cabbage-and-noodles/
Miso-Soup-with-Napa-Cabbage-and-Noodles.jpg

Steeping Ingredients:

• .5 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms *
  • 2 ½ cups boiling water
Base Ingredients:

• ½ cup yellow onion, minced
  • ½ cup grated carrots
  • ¼ cup red peppers, fine dice
  • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
  • 1 cup water
  • ¼ cup white miso *
  • 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
  • 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional)
  • 2 ½ to 3 cups Napa cabbage, chopped *

Spice/Herb Ingredients:

• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
  • Pinch to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
  • Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
Other Ingredients:

• 6 to 12 oz. noodles *
  • 3 thinly sliced green onions

Back
Top Bottom