What makes a kosher pickle kosher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pickling salt is basically kosher salt (pure salt, no additives) very finely ground, so that it dissolves almost instantly. I keep a container of this over my stove , labeled "bread and pickling salt", and use it anywhere that I want the salt to dissolve immediately. Good for bread making, too. I just grind up kosher salt to a flour like salt, in the blender.

All salt is Kosher.

pepperhead, my understanding is that 'kosher' rules refer to the way meat and animal products, such as dairy are prepared. Salt is a mineral, not an animal nor product thereof.

pepperhead, my understanding is that 'kosher' rules refer to the way meat and animal products, such as dairy are prepared. Salt is a mineral, not an animal nor product thereof.
It's not just how they're prepared =it's what they are. Some animal products, such as pork and shellfish, are not kosher (fit to eat) under any circumstances. Kosher salt is called that because it's used to help remove blood from the slaughtered animals and eating blood is not kosher.

Last edited:
Love dills! wish I could make them. Used to try but, although edible, store bought was better. Could never figure out whether or not they needed to be water processed.

Baby dills, full sized, sandwich slices! Low salt and garlicy. YUM Breakfast, lunch or dinner plus any hour between.

My preferred low-salt ones at the moment are Bick's.

ps, you're welcome Charlie - semantics, go figure

Last edited:
You ALL got it WRONG.

The simplest way to put it is that it was blessed, or passed by a Rabbi. There is a fee for this but that gets you the ability to put the little K or U on it.

Jew are very reluctant to buy things without that marking.

Is it healthier ? No, at least it is not meant to be. It certifies that EVERY stage of the production of this food does not contain certain things. And purity, if a vessel for making deli corned beef has had ham or any pork product put through it then it cannot be used for Kosher foods. Even butcher blocks, no pork ever.

They seem to not like HFCS, there is Kosher Coke with real sugar in it, for more money.

I think it is just a little bit healthier, but not by much.

T

There are two kinds of "kosher pickles". There is a style that is called "Kosher dill pickle" and there are pickles that are certified kosher. The same pickle might be both. A pickle that is not "kosher style" could be certified as kosher.

You ALL got it WRONG.

The simplest way to put it is that it was blessed, or passed by a Rabbi. There is a fee for this but that gets you the ability to put the little K or U on it.

are very reluctant to buy things without that marking.

Is it healthier ? No, at least it is not meant to be. It certifies that EVERY stage of the production of this food does not contain certain things. And purity, if a vessel for making deli corned beef has had ham or any pork product put through it then it cannot be used for Kosher foods. Even butcher blocks, no pork ever.

They seem to not like HFCS, there is Kosher Coke with real sugar in it, for more money.

I think it is just a little bit healthier, but not by much.

T

I'll believe CharlieD first. Pretty Sure he knows what he's talking about.

We're talking about two different things.

Adhering to kosher food preparation rules is one thing. Selling pickles in the USA with the word kosher in the name is a completely different thing. Kosher-style pickles are meant to be similar to pickles sold in US delicatessens.

As Charlie said some time ago, "Otherwise, pickles are inherently kosher. Why they called this way i do not know. Just like for example Kosher salt. Only in America it's called Kosher salt. Salt is perfectly kosher and is called all kind different names in other countries."

It's not just how they're prepared =it's what they are. Some animal products, such as pork and shellfish, are not kosher (fit to eat) under any circumstances. Kosher salt is called that because it's used to help remove blood from the slaughtered animals and eating blood is not kosher.

And I was looking forward to having some Kosher bacon.

T

Only if it has the K or U on it. What a rabbi would be looking for there is anything non-kosher in the preparation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_certification_agency

has a pretty decent article on it.

Note that they are doing their duty.

I realise all salt is Kosher. However it is not considered such without the pareve on it. (pareve is the little "K" or "U", their mark)

T

By quoting CharlieD you are speaking to the choir, he keeps Kosher in his home and when he eats out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom