What Lucky Item Did Ya Make Today - Friday, January 13, 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
I made meatballs with couscous using some too soft tomatoes and peppers. I do like one pot or pan meals.

Attachments

• 20230113_171458.jpg
    20230113_171458.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230113_170508_01.jpg
    IMG_20230113_170508_01.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2023-01-13 16.22.47.jpg
    2023-01-13 16.22.47.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 6
The ditz fairy came to my house today. Both of us forgetting stuff and doing ditzy stuff. So, I decided on an easy, no cook supper. We had smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, onion, and capers. We thought there was only one dill pickle left in the jar, so we shared it and also shared the last of the pickled Thai cucumber. It worked well. I didn't burn myself on anything and it was delicious.

Did you have to cook the couscous ahead of time? BTW, it looks delicious.
It was really tasty and gives a lot of room for improvisation. You do not cook the couscous before. I added water in a 1:1 ratio with the Pearl couscous since I had really ripe tomatoes that were more than slightly juicy. If they were not so juicy, I would probably add 1 and a quarter cup of liquid. For this dish, I made basic Italian meatballs with seasonings, a bit of cheese, and soft bread crumbs. The meatballs were big because the dish had to cook for 30 minutes or so at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake until the meat is done. I use a thermometer for this.

For the couscous, I had peppers, tomatoes, some onion powder, basil and water. One could use a veggie juice or broth in place of water. Pretty much any kind of veggie could be used including canned roasted peppers. Mix the couscous with stuff and pop meatballs on top and bake. When serving, you can also add sauces like pesto could be mixed in. I put a dot of butter in mine for this dish.

I use pearl couscous because it is doesn't get mushy.

Last edited:
Seeing those drippings under the chicken reminded me of the best rotisserie chicken I have eaten. When I lived in town, there was a little hole in the wall place not too far from where I lived. It was run by some Spanish speaking ladies. There were two rotisseries in front of the window with rows and rows of chickens rotating. They put cooked potato wedges at the bottom. The potatoes got bathed in the drippings while the chickens cooked. That's pretty much all they sold: those potatoes, rotisserie chickens, buns, and if you asked nice, extra sauce. Oh man, now I am craving that chicken.

My point being, that I think you should put cooked potato wedges at the bottom of your rotisserie next time, to soak up all those yummy juices.

I made nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice), as I had left over rice, With soft fried egg on top and atjar (pickles) to the side
And I forgot to take a picture, but it was very tasty

I made meatballs with couscous using some too soft tomatoes and peppers. I do like one pot or pan meals.
I adore couscous but I never made it mixed with tomatoes, vegetables or meat. I assume you add it like you would add rice? Every time I make couscous, I make it separately and serve it as we would normally serve mashed potatoes.

I adore couscous but I never made it mixed with tomatoes, vegetables or meat. I assume you add it like you would add rice? Every time I make couscous, I make it separately and serve it as we would normally serve mashed potatoes.
I generally make couscous separately. Prior to retirement, I regularly worked 10 to 12 hour days with many days for 16 hours or more! I was not feeling good with all of the take-out food I was eating. Fortunately, members here suggested I look into one-pot/pan meals. Now that I am retired, I still make them because I can do other things knowing that I will have something healthy that I can quickly make. Plus, there is minimal clean up! :)

One pot meals often have rice or pasta but I wanted to give this a try. It turned out great. Also, I have said that my "resolution" for this year is to reduce food waste. I opted to make this particular dish combination with the peppers, tomatoes, etc. because I had tomatoes and peppers that needed to be used. Win-win. :D

Back
Top Bottom