What is your favorite snack that no one else will touch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This can be anything that you love, but no one else in your home will eat. It can be a sandwich, a can of Vienna Sausage, Head Cheese, stinky cheese, potted meat, well, you get the idea.

Here are some of mine. Suffice it to say that I ate at my paternal grand parents home enough times to be introduced to a wide variety of foods.

1. Liverwurst (braunschweiger), straight up,or especially on toasted rye with lettuce, tomato, sweet onion, and Miracle Whip
2. Head cheese sandwich
3. VanCamp's Pork & Beans with cocktail wienies
4. Pickled Pig's Feat
5. Raging Bull Salsa
6. Red Hot pickled sausages
7. Granny Smith Apples
8. Rhubarb stalks
9. Salmon patties
10. Baloot (just kidding I won' touch it either.

Your turn.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Habanero peppers, though I have gotten a few others to like them, through the years. :ohmy:

Something that I eat that few others like, though it's not a snack, is bitter melon. Even some of the Indian people that I know won't eat them, though I have snuck them into dishes, without telling them, until they tell me they like the dish - a trick I've played on a number of people, with things they don't like, except with things like cilantro, which I realize is a genetic thing.

Last edited:
Unsweetened cranberry juice
Kippers on crisp rye bread
open faced, (boiled) potato sandwich on heavy rye buttered with bacon fat, and chives or dill as garnish
stinky brie

Last edited:
I can never get anyone to share an anchovy pizza with me, so I always have enough leftovers for at least two more meals. In fact, since I have lived in California (40 years) I have only found three people to share an anchovy pizza, and they were all Pilipinos.

I can never get anyone to share an anchovy pizza with me, so I always have enough leftovers for at least two more meals. In fact, since I have lived in California (40 years) I have only found three people to share an anchovy pizza, and they were all Pilipinos.

I have never had anyone share one with me. So, I buy the flat fillets in the little tray can. I think its Vigo brand.
When I order pizza, I put anchovies just on my slices.
When I am in a restaurant I ask for them on the side.
Frankly I like them uncooked better. Room temp from the can.
I want to try the salt packed some day.
Anchovies are so good. I wonder why so many despise them?

I didn't used to like anchovies, and I think it had something to do with those little tins of anchovies in the old days, in which the anchovies had shrunk up to about 1/3 the volume in the can, and the flavor was disgusting! It seems that anchovies quality goes down faster than other canned fish. The first ones I found that were good back then were the Progresso, which were in the refrigerator section of the stores, and the cans were filled with the anchovies, much lighter in color, and they were good. Later, I found even better ones in larger cans, which were also kept in the refrigerator case in better stores - in Claudio's, I have to ask for them, as they are in the back! I buy them in 16 oz cans, and empty them into a glass jar, when I open them.

I don't order pizza with anchovies. They tend to put far more than I like. I like a few chopped anchovies on pizza.

So a couple of mine, though some I haven't had in a while:

• Apple slices with Italian dressing.
  • Canned peaches with French dressing (rue French is best).
  • Canned pears with cheap cheddar cheese.

So a couple of mine, though some I haven't had in a while:

• Apple slices with Italian dressing.

OK - I tried this at lunch today. May I just say... NO. Horrible thing to do to nice Honeycrisps.... :(

I'll have to 2nd the liverwurst. In fact, I just bought some today. My husband would never touch it and my son won't touch it either.

Avocado is another one. No one in my family will eat it.

Canned smoked oysters.

Liver. Period. I don't know one other person who likes it. Deep-fried chicken livers is one of my favorite munchies. I also like beef liver and onions. Not exactly a snack, but it rolls in there with the liver option.

I adore Marmite Cashews. (Marmite is a very devisive substance!)

And I love dark chocolate covered pretzels called Flipz. However, apparently not enough people like dark chocolate so they are impossible to get in any shops and I have resorted to ordering them by the box from Amazon. Very sad. I have actually now bought some dark chocolate and a bag of pretzels (from the American section in the "Foods of the World" aisle in Sainsburys), and will attempt to make my own version! :)

Last edited:
I'll have to 2nd the liverwurst. In fact, I just bought some today. My husband would never touch it and my son won't touch it either.

Avocado is another one. No one in my family will eat it.

Canned smoked oysters.

Liver. Period. I don't know one other person who likes it. Deep-fried chicken livers is one of my favorite munchies. I also like beef liver and onions. Not exactly a snack, but it rolls in there with the liver option.

Both pork, and chicken livers make great pate', as do goose livers.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

anything salty......
cheese sticks or any sliced cheese will do, with all crackers out there
dill pickles

popcorn
pretzels esp. the large sourdough rye

have to pass on anchovies tho*

all breads
all fruits except coconut

...Frutti di mare..my son will eat this, too, but he moved out years ago so I don't have to hide the jar in the back of the fridge..this stuff is getting harder and harder to find in these parts..

Attachments

• user34941_pic7734_1545707085.jpg
    user34941_pic7734_1545707085.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Philly Cream Cheese on toasted n buttered Rye bread.
It's a vice.

I allow myself one Heath Candy bar a year.

...Frutti di mare..my son will eat this, too, but he moved out years ago so I don't have to hide the jar in the back of the fridge..this stuff is getting harder and harder to find in these parts..
Is that something you made or something you buy? Is it a salad? I had a seafood salad in Pisa, Italy when we were there years ago. So good [emoji39]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom