What is your favorite mayonnaise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
I've always been a Hellmann's girl and, to cut fat and calories, I've gotten used to Hellmann's Light. Been using it for years.

But I often see or hear comments that nothing beats Duke's mayo and even Kewpie mayo.

What's your favorite and why? And how do you think Duke's and Kewpie compare to Hellmann's? I've been wanting to make some recipes that call for mayo and I'm seeing that Duke's and/or Kewpie make recipes so much better, not to mention how these mayo's taste on a sandwich.

Would appreciate your input!

Usually Hellman's. Have tried Duke's but find it a little challenging for me. Something a little bit off or vinegary. Not sure how to describe it. Can't say tangy, but there is something that just doesn't fit my taste. I have a jar in the fridge and it may become, in my younger brother's terminology, an UFO - unidentified food object. Still, there is a jar of Duke's in our fridge.

I've tried several brands besides Hellman's, including homemade. In every case, I prefer the flavor of Hellman's.

Kraft advertises tht it's smoother, and creamier, and it is, until the Helman's is spread, or mixed into something. I too find Duke's lacks the gentle, yet full flavor that I get with my favorite. No matter which recipe I try, including my own experiments, I can't find that magic ballance of flavors I get with Hellman's.

Maybe it's what you grew up with. However, we always had Miracle Whip in our home, never mayo. To this day, if it's tuna, or chicken salad, deviled eggs, my juicy version of Cole slaw, or blt's (especially on blt's), it has to be Miracle Whip for me, also if horseradish is added.

The first time I tried mayo, it was Hellman's. I loved it and wondered that my parents , and grandparents didn't care for any mayo. For me, unless I'm making a homemade aioli, or are in desperate nerd of mayo, and have to make my own, because we're out, I'll stick with Hellman's.

Now I find it strange that with mortadella, and bologna, I like mayo
With hot dogs, and sausages, I prefer Miracle Whip, though hot dogs, and bologna taste nearly identicle, depending on brand. Oh., and with liverwurst, and braunshweiger, it has to be Miracle Whip.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hellman's for me. I grew up with Best Foods, but that's the same thing as Hellman's. It's just the West Coast version. Hmm, I wonder if it's the West Coast version in Canada as well as in the US. I have made homemade mayo and once in a blue moon, I like it better than Hellman's, but not enough to try to perfect my homemade version. Kraft mayo will do fine, if I can't get Hellman's. As the Chief wrote, Kraft is creamier, until you use it. I do not like Miracle Whip. I don't like the sweet. If I want the tangy flavour that come with MW, I'll add a bit of apple cider vinegar to my Hellman's. I haven't had a chance to try Duke's or Kewpie. I am curious about the Kewpie mayo, but I have read that it is sweeter than other mayo and that has no appeal to me.

Vegenaise. of all the Vegan mayonnaises, this one works best for me. Its been decades since Ive had regular mayo, so I can't compare how similar or not it is, but too far it works every time I use it where regular may was called for. So, as long as it tastes good, I dont care how accurate ( or not ) it is .

Hellman's
Can’t find kewpie or Duke’s around here. Miracle whip tastes sweet to me.

Once again my taste buds prove that I do NOT have discriminating abilities.
I use both Hellmans and Miracle Whip. Take a spoon taste of each, yes, I can tell the difference. I like both. But put in a sandwich - salad - whatever, I will like them both and one does not beat out the other. To boot, I've never even thought about differences. Always thought it odd that people would say they like one or the other.

In Quebec I learned to eat French Fries with (according to discerning tastes, it has to be... Hellman's. I thought it was a disgusting habit!:ohmy: Who ever heard of something other than either ketchup or maybe vinegar (ugh) But I slowly discovered I was eating it and liking it! LOL Now with my French Fries I have a puddle of ketchup and another puddle, on the other side, of mayo (any kind).

To me Hellman's and Miracle Whip were both mayonaise! (and still are) :angel:

I'm a Hellmann's fan all the way.

Never had Dukes or Kewpie. I've made my own. IMO Kraft products don't deserve consideration.

Since I discovered Duke's, we've had nothing else. It is great on sandwiches where you can taste it but it doesn't overwhelm nor make the sandwich "slimy". I use it in apple salads, as part of a topping on grilled chicken, and almost any other way I can think of. So far I have not just dipped a spoon into the jar and eaten it straight!

...In Quebec I learned to eat French Fries with (according to discerning tastes, it has to be... Hellman's. I thought it was a disgusting habit!:ohmy: Who ever heard of something other than either ketchup or maybe vinegar (ugh) But I slowly discovered I was eating it and liking it!...

I've been eating FF with Hellmann's since I was a teen. My BIL introduced me to the idea. I don't know where he learned it. I don't think he'd ever been to Canada.

I'm a Hellmann's fan all the way.

Never had Dukes or Kewpie. I've made my own. IMO Kraft products don't deserve consideration.
I agree.

BTW I sometimes dip my fries in tartar sauce or splash (mostly) steak fries with malt vinegar.

I've always known the vinegar part just was never a fan. BTW England's Fish and Chips - Chips being thick cut french fries to North Americans - were/are always with Malt Vinegar.

Not saying the mayo part was intro'd in Quebec, just saying that's where I first met it. ;)

As a dip or fries is one of the few times I prefer homemade mayo to Hellmann's mayo. I was also introduced to it here in Quebec. I was told at the time that it was traditional in Belgium.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try Blue Plate? I was a Miracle Whip fan until I decided that having both mayo and MW in the fridge was taking up too much space. Now it is Kraft mayo. Still prefer home made over all.

Once again my taste buds prove that I do NOT have discriminating abilities.
I use both Hellmans and Miracle Whip. Take a spoon taste of each, yes, I can tell the difference. I like both. But put in a sandwich - salad - whatever, I will like them both and one does not beat out the other. To boot, I've never even thought about differences. Always thought it odd that people would say they like one or the other.

In Quebec I learned to eat French Fries with (according to discerning tastes, it has to be... Hellman's. I thought it was a disgusting habit!:ohmy: Who ever heard of something other than either ketchup or maybe vinegar (ugh) But I slowly discovered I was eating it and liking it! LOL Now with my French Fries I have a puddle of ketchup and another puddle, on the other side, of mayo (any kind).

To me Hellman's and Miracle Whip were both mayonaise! (and still are) :angel:
I've been eating FF with Hellmann's since I was a teen. My BIL introduced me to the idea. I don't know where he learned it. I don't think he'd ever been to Canada.
Our first exchange student was from the former East Germany. He's the first person I knew who used mayo as a dipping sauce for French fries. That was in 1993.

Duke's all the way! [emoji16] I grew up in Michigan on Hellman's, but after I discovered Duke's after we moved here in 1985, we've both preferred it.

One of the times when DH and I had dinner at Vivian Howard's Chef and the Farmer restaurant in Kinston, NC, we had her Tom Thumb sausage appetizer. This sauce drizzled on it was deliciously tangy with the sausage. I asked the server what it was - she said it was Duke's mayo. Not something made with Duke's - just Duke's. [emoji39]
0630171931_HDR.jpg

re: the french connection

OMGosh - you're all right. The person to introduce mayo and french fried, spent her summers in Belgium.

LOL.... you are all such great detectives!

Wow, thanks for all the great replies :)

I agree that Kraft mayo... well, sucks, to put it bluntly. I tried it once and was like "Eeewwwwwww, that's nasty!"

However, I do like Miracle Whip. I have both Hellmann's mayo and Miracle Whip in my fridge. I use both interchangeably, depending on what I'm in the mood for at the time. And my son and I love the Kraft tartar sauce. I've tried other brands, but I like Kraft the best. It's the only one I'll buy now. Sometimes, though, I'll make my own tartar sauce using a mixture of Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish. It's quick, uncomplicated and does the job.

Great for a quick snack of fish sticks :LOL:

But when it comes to beer-battered fish (and sometimes chips) I gotta have malt vinegar on that.

As for the Kewpie mayo, I guess I'll just have to buy some (if I can find it on the internet because I never see it in stores) and try it for myself. It's supposedly thinner than regular mayonnaise, so I'm not certain I would appreciate the texture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom