What is this beef steak called?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This steak cut in my home town was labeled Petite steak. It is a fairly thin steak, usually butterflied.It is characterized by a strop if gristle that runs through the middle on each side. It comes from the chuck, just in front of the rib primal. It is tender and flavorful, one the gristle strip is removed. It was described to me by a butcher as one of the best cuts on the beef carcass.

I looked up petite steak and got petite sirloin, and others, but not what I was looking for. Anyone recognize this cut, and have a proper name for it?

Seeeeya; Chief Lonwind of the North

Thanks Andy. As always, you nailed it. I put Bade steak into google and pulled up a picture It showed both the flat iron, and blade steak.

There is no one wose advise I respect more.

Blade steak if the gristle runs down the middle of the steak.

If you take the whole piece and filet it to remove the whole piece of gristle, you have 2 flatiron steaks.

Beat me to it. My mom bought blade steaks when we were growing up and I remember that gristle down the middle. I haven't seen it much in this part of the country though.

Beat me to it. My mom bought blade steaks when we were growing up and I remember that gristle down the middle. I haven't seen it much in this part of the country though.

My mom used to serve it as well. A couple of years ago I bought a couple for the first time in a long while. Didn't care for the taste.

My mom used to serve it as well. A couple of years ago I bought a couple for the first time in a long while. Didn't care for the taste.

Yeah, I remember not caring for the flavor much. It was better than her pan fried, dried out cube steaks though. I cooked some for my mom in the instant pot with a savory beef and onion gravy spike with thyme and Worcestershire sauce and she loved them.

Cube steak, when cooked properly, makes a tender and tasty chicke-fried steak, smothered in pan gravy. Serve it with boiled potatoes, and butter, with a good bread to sop up any extra gravy from your plate. A good bread dressing, and some freshly steamed green beans rounds out the meal nicely.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My ex-wife loved Sizzler for some unknown reason and the gristle down the middle sounds like a description of the steak I would get there, regardless of what cut I ordered.

Back
Top Bottom