What does "double-smoked" mean to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wan

Cook
Hello. I recently saw ham being described as "double-smoked". I didn't know what that meant so I came home and googled. Apparently, this term, when applied to bacon, means that the bacon is cured in dry herbs and its own natural juice as opposed to the usual way, which is being injected with brine, which hastens the process but also introduces too much liquid into the meat.

However, I looked further and realized that this term actually means something very different when applied to ham. I believe it means that the meat is smoked not once, but twice, hence the "double".

Am I far from the mark? What is your understanding? thanks.

I have no actual knowledge on the matter (this being the internet has stopped no one), but I would guess that it might have been brined or injected with a solution that included liquid smoke, and then actually spent time in a smoker.

I'd be interested to see if I'm wrong. Double smoking sounds like extra effort, or it could be a sales pitch.

Hello. I recently saw ham being described as "double-smoked". I didn't know what that meant so I came home and googled. Apparently, this term, when applied to bacon, means that the bacon is cured in dry herbs and its own natural juice as opposed to the usual way, which is being injected with brine, which hastens the process but also introduces too much liquid into the meat.

However, I looked further and realized that this term actually means something very different when applied to ham. I believe it means that the meat is smoked not once, but twice, hence the "double".

Am I far from the mark? What is your understanding? thanks.

I don't think double smoking has anything to do with the brining process you described in our first paragraph. Brining by injection is not the normal way it's done. That is a manufacturing process to prepare the bacon faster than traditional curing.

To me, double smoking refers to smoking the meat twice. Perhaps with two different woods for a more complex flavor.

Ok, a 3 second search yielded that it is a ham that was smoked in the initial curing process, and then smoked again in the reheating process by the cook before serving.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Or I could be wrong.

I came across this just the other day. I can't remember the context other than it was some sort of meat that was smoked for longer than the usual smoke time.

Maybe if you brine it with liquid smoke, the smoke it in the curing process, then smoke to serve, you could get triple smoked.

Bucky or Pepper, do you know anywhere I can get bone-in fresh smoked pork chops in my area of NJ? I used to get the best fresh smoked pork chops at Fairway in Woodland Park or Paramus but they are closed. TIA

Bucky or Pepper, do you know anywhere I can get bone-in fresh smoked pork chops in my area of NJ? I used to get the best fresh smoked pork chops at Fairway in Woodland Park or Paramus but they are closed. TIA

I miss Fairway in Woodland Park as well. They had the best meats and seafood, and a great olive bar.

I don't know of anything down by you, mofet, but up here in the sticks I think Hayek's market in Newton sells smoked chops. Or maybe Sussex Meat Packing in Wharton or Sussex might.

I miss Fairway in Woodland Park as well. They had the best meats and seafood, and a great olive bar.

I don't know of anything down by you, mofet, but up here in the sticks I think Hayek's market in Newton sells smoked chops. Or maybe Sussex Meat Packing in Wharton or Sussex might.
Thank you Bucky!! I'll call and ask.

A classic double smoked ham that I've made multiple times involves usuing a fully cooked, smoked ham, usually spiral sliced, then brushing it with a honey/mustard glaze, making sure to work it between meat slices, and then cooking low and slow on the Webber kettle between a divided bed of charcoal, with apple, and maple wood chunks/sticks on top of the hot coals. A drip pan is placed directly under the ham and half filled with water to add moisture, and catch drippings. The meat is basted several times with the glaze, and brought to an internal temperature of l50' F., taken off and let rest for 15 minutes before serving. The smoke from the Webber, combined with the already smoked meat and honey mustard mellows the salty flavor of the ham, and gives a complex, and rich flavor. I've had some who swore they didn't like ham come away from this preparation loving the ham.

Smoking your own chops is easier than you might think. First, you need to place the pork chips into a brine of:
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups ice water
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
Brine for about 8 hours. Then fire up the grill with your favorite hardwood over charcoal, and cooked low and slow (about 220' F") for about 90 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chops. The pork chops should be slightly pink in the middle (145' internal temperature). Use an accurate instant read digital thermometer to verify the temperature. For best results, the chops should be bone-in rib chops, about 2 inches thick. Favorite woods include maple, oak, apple, birch, alder, or other frit woods. Surprisingly, empty walnut shells make a great smoke as well. The beauty of this method is that you can add other seasonings to the brine, such as onion, peppers, or whatever you like. Here's a link to a video that describes the process - https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ultimate-grilled-pork-chops/. Of course, use your own favorite rub, or even just salt & pepper. Your chops will have great flavor, and be both tender and juicy. If using a pellet stove, or smoker, follow stove directions, and use the pellets of your choice.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom