What do you want to try next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made it maybe 25 years ago — and not well. My next experiment is beef Wellington entirely from scratch. But it might have to wait till the fall.

My favorite things in life are platters, sides, pancakes, and now I'm looking forward to trying Shoney's classic breakfast, which is a healthy and delicious meal. It contains bacon, sausages, which I am a big fan of.

I want to make a fancy Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwich), called a stjerneskud (shooting star). It was invented by Ida Davidsen, a well known chef, restaurateur, and the uncrowned queen of Danish smørrebrød. She came up with it to honour Juri Gagarin, when he was touring after his flight into space in 1961.

This is what it looks like:

1685595026865.png

That is supper for one person. It has white fish fillets, salmon, lumpfish caviar, and other stuff. Here's a link to the recipe, but it's in Danish: https://www.dk-kogebogen.dk/opskrifter/5791/stjerneskud Google doesn't do a great job of translating this. I checked. I got some Icelandic lumpfish caviar from a local supermarket that delivers.

I want to make a fancy Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwich), called a stjerneskud (shooting star). It was invented by Ida Davidsen, a well known chef, restaurateur, and the uncrowned queen of Danish smørrebrød. She came up with it to honour Juri Gagarin, when he was touring after his flight into space in 1961.

This is what it looks like:

View attachment 64779

That is supper for one person. It has white fish fillets, salmon, lumpfish caviar, and other stuff. Here's a link to the recipe, but it's in Danish: https://www.dk-kogebogen.dk/opskrifter/5791/stjerneskud Google doesn't do a great job of translating this. I checked. I got some Icelandic lumpfish caviar from a local supermarket that delivers.
OMG! I’ll be your guinie pig as you perfect the recipe! it looks delicious!

I grew up eating all kinds of weird Swedish food and always crave things like this sandwich. We ate a lot of different open faced sandwiches when we were in Denmark last year. Yum! Boston is great but we have nothing remotely like Scandinavian food here, sadly.

Next, I want to try one of these prepared meals delivery services. I AM SICK OF COOKING!!!
I tried Hello Fresh, where you get the ingredients to prepare, it is not prepared for you. I really liked it. It was a treat to try all kinds of new dishes I wouldn't usually try.

My son and DIL tried it, several times, gave me a gift certificate for some too. It's great, very tasty and as bliss says, often things you would nor normally make yourself. You also have choices between various meals.

Yes, it can be pricey in the end, but they always have beginners' coupons, etc to the first couple of times is not that pricey - especially compared to eating in a restaurant.

If you check around, there are likely places that will deliver pre-made meals...once or twice a week. They have them up here in "farm land"! Alternatively, the supermarkets (Kroger, for one), now have similar things. Not quite as pricey, since you have to go and fetch it yourownself. Usually they are in cases near the produce and/or deli section.

One of the advantages of services like Hello Fresh is that the food is already portioned, so less likely to cause waste. They also give you small amounts of ingredients like herbs and spices that you would have to buy whole containers of and might not need very often, so it can save storage space in your kitchen. I won't be trying them until they give me more info on how and where they source their various ingredients.

taxy, just give them a call. Because it is so wide spread and really, the ingredients are really really fresh, I would 't be surprised if they make an effort to source locally.
Of course, because they are so wide-spread and have a menu you can choose from that is all on-line, it probably is difficult to sometimes source certain things. But if they put in the effort - that is a bonus in my book and should be rewarded. Just wish I could afford it more often.

Speaking of often - they also allow you to take a holiday. Meaning if you don't want to order that week, you just say so. You can go various lengths of time (they're not stupid, they want your business).

taxy, they also give you enough of the 'dressings' for various parts of the dishes. It truly is all inclusive. Little tiny bottles of dressing, etc. I ordered meals for 2 people but more is optional, what ever you need!
I had 2 of my gal pals I would phone and say.... do you want "such 'n such" for supper tomorrow. LOL Was great.

Forgot to mention, there is a shiny 8x11 card with the instructions and pictures in colour. Plus all the ingredients and measures should you ever want to duplicate on your own.

Damn.... think they owe me some money - tooting for them like that! LOL
Honest - no association!

Dragn, I'm not sure about what effort they should be rewarded for, "But if they put in the effort - that is a bonus in my book and should be rewarded."

For now, I reward local farmers and manufacturers through Lufa Farms. I get all sorts of info about where each different item comes from. It works for me.

I grew up eating all kinds of weird Swedish food and always crave things like this sandwich. We ate a lot of different open faced sandwiches when we were in Denmark last year. Yum! Boston is great but we have nothing remotely like Scandinavian food here, sadly.
Boston, that's only about a five hour drive. When shall we do this guinea pig thing? You can help, so you will be able to make it at home. I think we should probably do it several times, to make sure we have it down.

I can't get real Scandinavian food here in Montreal, even though it's a very "foody" city. I have been having a hard time of getting decent pickled herring. Most of it is far too sweet (yuck). Okay, I can get real Scandinavian food sometimes. But, it's only through various Scandinavian club get-togethers and parties. We (the Danish Club) used to have a soccer game and potluck every summer, with the other Scandihoovian clubs invited. I guess I should encourage that to start up again, at least the potluck part.

Last edited:
I find that even the most “foodie” cities have problems with supplying real authentic food from any region.
It’s mostly due to the fact that even when there is a large population for such cuisine, it simply isn’t enough to sustain a restaurant every day.

Boston, that's only about a five hour drive. When shall we do this guinea pig thing? You can help, so you will be able to make it at home. I think we will need to try several times, just to make sure we have it down.

I can't get real Scandinavian food here in Montreal, even though it's a very "foody" city. I have been having a hard time of getting decent pickled herring. Most of it is far too sweet (yuck). Okay, I can get real Scandinavian food sometimes. But, it's only through various Scandinavian club get-togethers and parties. We (the Danish Club) used to have a soccer game and potluck every summer, with the other Scandihoovian clubs invited. I guess I should encourage that to start up again, at least the potluck part.
I find that even the most “foodie” cities have problems with supplying real authentic food from any region.
It’s mostly due to the fact that even when there is a large population for such cuisine, it simply isn’t enough to sustain a restaurant every day.
In Greater Montreal we have restos that serve authentic Portuguese food (according to a Portuguese friend), authentic Greek food, authentic (some regions of China) Chinese food, authentic Ethiopian food, authentic Indian food authentic French food (Quelle surprise in a French speaking province). If we have authentic Italian or Mexican, I haven't found it. We do have authentic Italian American food. Mostly, we have our own authentic Québec cuisine, some traditional, but mostly modern.

The fact that you can get some really good authentic cuisine is wonderful! Here in Australia, you really have to push for it. We have many, many excellent Asian restaurants, but if you are wanting the amazing tastes you get in Thailand without any dumbing down, you have to insist on your server that you are going to be happy with the high heat and want the real thing. I always insist that the chef makes the dish that they would want - it is often a bit confronting, but most times it is superb.

I certainly wouldn't say that all Chinese restos here have authentic Chinese food. But, I have a favourite Chinese resto where the owner's make food from their specific locality, Henan province As far as I can tell, they just serve the food from "home", without adjusting it for Western taste. They have a large enough following who appreciate it for what it is. Since we have only gone there with a group of friends, we always get large portions. The most exotic dish I have had there is bung, pigs' anus. It was delicious, but I didn't like the texture. They make a wonderfully delicious lamb soup. The lamb soup comes with one noodle. It's about an inch wide maybe 2 metres long. It's definitely different from regular Chinese resto food, but in that family of food. We would probably go once or twice a month, if it wasn't 30 km away and I don't drive at the moment.

Even in cities known for their foodie culture, the challenge of offering truly authentic cuisine from various regions persists. The inherent problem lies in the fact that, even with a substantial population craving such flavors, it may not be adequate to sustain a restaurant serving that cuisine on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom