What did you eat Thursday November 26, 2020?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Happy Thanksgiving USA!!

Thanksgiving Dinner: (Hubs plate) Clockwise from top center steamed Brussels sprouts, creamed onions, turkey, mashed Yukon potatoes & turnip, sweet potato & acorn squash casserole, homemade cranberry & orange relish, homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing and gravy. Glazed carrots & sautéed mushrooms in center.

thanksgiving_dinner_112620_IMG_7432.jpg

As SO and I were alone today, I was free to try something different. I made the turkey porchetta recipe from Serious Eats. The rest of the dinner was the usual Thanksgiving fare.

45B3E629-52DD-44E2-9805-72D612DD1751_1_105_c.jpg

Sadly, neither of us cared for the turkey. The seasoning was a mix we didn't care for.

We ate roasted cornish game hens, with bread dressing, fruit, and whipped cream salad (ambrosia),, Pan gravy, and carrot pie. It was simple, well seasoned, and very tasty.:yum:

Best of all, we got to Skype with my youngest daughter, and grandkids in Michigan, my youngest son, and my oldest sister.

For not being able to travel, it was a good Thanksgiving, and I have much to be thankful for.

Off subject; My eldest sister told me that a man in his mid 40's,where my nephew works, just died of the corona virus. My home town is small, and there aren't enough hospital beds to take in all of the patients with the viu us. The man didn't go ouy into crowds, or parties. Rather, two fellow workers attended a Halloween party and contracted the virus. The man who perished caught it from them.

Please be safe not only for yourself, but for those around you. This virus is no joke.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Late to the party, again :)

IMG_E0014.jpg

We had been invited to Thanksgiving Lunch with a large group of people and decided that it wasn't a good idea for us.
So instead, I attended a small (3 gal pals) pre-Thanksgiving Cocktail gathering on the neighbor's back patio. I always bring snacks for the class ;)

IMG_0022.jpg

Dinner for us two was simple.

IMG_6588.jpg

I decided that this would be plenty for us

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

... and took some help from TJ's

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg

Dessert was the typical, 6 inch Pumpkin Pie for Moi
and a small Apple Crostata for DH.

HAPPY BELATED THANKSGIVING ALL!!

Since it was just the two of us, Himself suggested that I scale back. He even said to hold off on the pumpkin pie! I also skipped making cranberry relish, since the dressing was made with cranberry-walnut bread. In addition to the dressing, we had turkey breast, Brussels sprouts with bacon and mushrooms, and butternut squash roasted with butter, brown sugar, and Bourbon. There was more than enough food - which means plenty of leftovers!

IMG_20201126_190859965_HDR.jpg

A friend of mine is a Chef. For his graduation from Culinary School years ago I built him a meat smoker out of a brand new trashcan. He's made great use of it since.

So he's always inviting me over on Thanksgiving and Christmas along with
a few others for a fine dinner.

He recently smoked (in that same smoker) a few Turkey Breast which was our sliced Turkey for the dinner.

He had prepped (all from scratch) baked candied yams, cranberry sauce, Turkey gravy &
dressing, a medley of zucchini with yellow squash and onions. We had a relish tray with olives, pickles, cheeses, and giardiniera. This with coffee and iced tea to drink. For our dessert he had prepared a tri level pumpkin
confection that was about half cake and half pie which ground pecans over the top. Quite good but different. And as a candy like treat later he had made some "pig candy" of bacon coated in brown sugar and caramelized.

The Turkey came out great and was tender and juicy.

Needless to say a good time was had by all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom