What can you do using Vegetable soup as a base? Mixed up cooking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Mannn

Assistant Cook
I am guessing this is the correct forum. Mods please feel free to move this if you need.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a big fan of mixing up things.
I can take a can of chili, a single serving of rice and 4 ounces of shredded cheese...mix them up and you have a surprisingly hearty meal.

Same with Raman. I use two packages, both flavor pouches, hamburger, and more shredded cheese and again you have a great meal (some of the cheese melts and thickens the broth. GREAT!)

OK so now I am looking at vegetable soup. I have both cans of soup, and dried veggie soup mix. (the mix looks really interesting)

What would you mix that up with?
I have rice, lentils, beans and a lot of meat, chicken, ham, beef. But don't feel limited to just these. I am looking for ideas to eat more veggies.

add beef and potatoes for a stew...What would thicken the broth? Never made stew. could this be a base for a small casserole?

Normally I am inventive, but I am at a loss here. I never really worked with soup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The veggie mix from Amazon:
Gourmanity 2 lb Dehydrated Mixed Vegetables, All Natural, Gluten Free & Allergen Free, Dried Vegetable Soup Mix, Dried Ramen Vegetables, Dried Vegetables For Soup, Vegetable Soup Mix Dried Kosher

Carrots, Potatoes, Celery, Onion, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Cabbage

With what you describe that you have, Italian Wedding Soup would be perfect. Here's a link to one recipe. Note, curly endive adds a nicer flavor, in my opinion than does spinach.

https://thecozycook.com/italian-wedding-soup/

instead of fresh veggies, your veggie soup, plus chicken broth would work. If you can't find the pasta mentioned in the like, orzo will also work.

And just so you know, we do a lot of from scratch cooking on this site. So questions about virtually any food will get answered. Welcome to DC.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here, you will find recipes for food made totally from scratch and what some Canadian chefs called half made homemade. For example, that dry soup mix, that can be added to lots of things to bump up the flavour. A recent example is someone asked what to do with a store bought rotisserie chicken. There were suggestions for salads, soups, and other stuff.

You've kind of stumped me with the ingredient of vegetable soup. Now, if you had said some kind of broth or even tomato soup, I would have suggestions. Chief's suggestion above, sounds like a winner to me.

Personally, I think I would put that can of veggie soup in the pantry and use it on a snowy day when you feel like a can of soup is the way to go?

Small diced beef, cooked, thicken the vegetable soup broth to a gravy with a flour and water or cornstarch and water slurry, put it in a an 8-inch deep dish pie shell, and top it with a second crust.

throw the can of vegetable soup away - try this, no rockets involved:

[FONT=&quot]Alton Brown Vegetable Soup[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dec 2013 - use beef stock - chicken stock not so good.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Half-batch - qty reduced from original[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoons finely minced garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kosher salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cups peeled and diced potatoes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 quarts chicken or vegetable broth[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 ears corn, kernels removed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juicelemon juice.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Directions[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with kosher salt. Serve immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Read more at:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/garden-vegetable-soup-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback[/FONT]

Small diced beef, cooked, thicken the vegetable soup broth to a gravy with a flour and water or cornstarch and water slurry, put it in a an 8-inch deep dish pie shell, and top it with a second crust.
AH! Like a Beef Pie! That is what I am looking for. something totally different from the starting soup. This is what I love to do!

Question. I have been gifted with 6 cans of Campbell's Veggie soup. how much flour would that take to fill a pie crust?

Hmmm. Maybe I should have just stuck with the dried veggie mix. No bullion or broth came with it. So it could be applied to anything.

Isn't it a soup mix? If it is, then you probably just have to add water to get it to rehydrate the vegis and the make bouillon. It should say in the instructions. If not, let us know what brand it is and what the ingredients are. I'm sure we can help figure it out. You may want to use less water than the instructions if you are using it to make stew or something else.

Isn't it a soup mix? If it is, then you probably just have to add water to get it to rehydrate the vegis and the make bouillon. It should say in the instructions. If not, let us know what brand it is and what the ingredients are. I'm sure we can help figure it out. You may want to use less water than the instructions if you are using it to make stew or something else.
It says it is a soup mix.

The veggie mix from Amazon:
Gourmanity (brand name)

2 lb Dehydrated Mixed Vegetables, All Natural, Gluten Free & Allergen Free, Dried Vegetable Soup Mix, Dried Ramen Vegetables, Dried Vegetables For Soup, Vegetable Soup Mix Dried Kosher

Carrots, Potatoes, Celery, Onion, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Cabbage

You might take the soup mix and rehydrate it in boiling water with some seasonings.
Cook up a few quarts of rice.
Mix the rice and vegetables.

Drizzle with a little stir fry sauce of your choice.

If you like sweet and savory together, this sauce I freeze half of it, and we use it a few tablespoons at a time. Lasts for months but when I run out, everyone wants more.

Stir fry sauce (we never 'fry')

2 T and 2 t chopped fresh garlic
2 T and 2 t chopped fresh ginger
3 T corn starch
1 T 1 t mustard powder
1/2 cup of chili sauce (I use ketchup)
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup of AC vinegar
1 and 1/2 cup honey
1 and 1/2 cup soy sauce
Bring to a boil to thicken slightly.

Another idea:
Make a split pea soup just like you would regularly, with split peas, broth/water, maybe some smoke flavorings, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, and instead of adding carrots and onions and potatoes, use the dehydrated vegetables, cook everything until it is the right texture for you. Finish it with a T of lemon juice, and a little salt to taste. I almost always serve it with ww toast for dipping.

. . .add beef and potatoes for a stew...What would thicken the broth? Never made stew. could this be a base for a small casserole?

It would make good pot pies. Prepare a roux: melt butter or heat oil, add an equal volume of flour, gradually stirring it in, and brown slightly. Add the strained broth, warm and stir until slightly thickened. Add the vegetables and pre-cooked meat (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, etc.)

Ladle the warm mix into ramekins or small casserole dishes. Top with pre-made puff pastry. Bake at 400° until the liquid bubbles and the pastry browns.

wUKogqO.jpg

BeqLlBi.jpg

hhFXvJt.jpg

I've made them with leftover chicken, turkey, pheasant, lamb, fish, and lobster w/bisque. Turns leftovers into something special.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom