What can I do with expired toothpaste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I've found a few packs of expired toothpaste, I think it's not effective to use it for teeth brushing. But anything else I can do with them?

It probably won't be on tube, it is probably on the box if it had one.
I was thinking the same thing and I don't have a box. I'm using weleda and on the crimp of the tube, there is a date!
I have no reason to believe that expired toothpastes 'go bad' or become ineffective. I've never come across a bad smelling or tasting toothpaste that was old.

Yep, date is on the crimp of the tube (colgate).
Can't read the year anymore.
It's just clay (kaolinite) and I can't see any reason why & how it would/could go off.
Maybe the mint flavour disappears?
Anyway, I'll just brush my teeth with it ;)

I don't use a fluoride toothpaste.....but maybe the fluoride degrades or dissipates?
I'm probably not going to pay attention to expire dates on toothpaste. As long as it still comes out of the tube as a paste, it will do, for me.

I see another thread about expired shampoo.

Just to add, I researched hand lotion expir dates as my large bottle had no dates. It can be good for as long as fifteen years. Mine was about four years from my purchase. No idea when it was mfg.

Dog ate two tubes of expir toothpaste. He hid the tubes under the bed. The vet said he ingested cosmetics. I didn't find the tooth pierced tubes until I was packing for a move. Poor dog! He lived a good long life.

Last edited:
Technically, they aren't "expired". Any date on any food or product, except for baby formula, are merely "best if used by" dates". You can (and I do) safely use or consume items that are beyond the manufacturer's suggested date.
But won't it be less effective in cleaning and preventing bacteria or inflammation?

The FDA requires expiry dates on things within 2 years of manufacture. Even if they don't go bad at all. At least that's what I remember reading.

"The FDA requires expiry dates on things within 2 years of manufacture."
absolutely dead wrong

baby formula is the only thing required to show an expiration date.
FDA / USDA have no other requirements.
some states require dates on dairy.

Back
Top Bottom